• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camcorder app?

Brandino13

Dec 24, 2012
I have two different shortcuts on my camera. one is the camera, and the other is the camcorder. My camera works fine, although when i click the camcorder shortcut, it will not work. It opens up, and all the buttons are there, but it just closes by itself and goes straight to my homescreen. I tried installing another shortcut, ive tried clearing the data on the camera itself in the manage apps section, and i tried resetting the phone by taking the battery out. When i open up the camera, and i try selecting the video option from there, it does the same thing. It opens up fine, and closes immediately. It seems no one has had this exact problem. Any help? Thanks in advance!

I have two different shortcuts on my camera. one is the camera, and the other is the camcorder. My camera works fine, although when i click the camcorder shortcut, it will not work. It opens up, and all the buttons are there, but it just closes by itself and goes straight to my homescreen. I tried installing another shortcut, ive tried clearing the data on the camera itself in the manage apps section, and i tried resetting the phone by taking the battery out. When i open up the camera, and i try selecting the video option from there, it does the same thing. It opens up fine, and closes immediately. It seems no one has had this exact problem. Any help? Thanks in advance!

What phone/carrier do you have?

Upvote 0
well im not sure how to reboot my phone. I dont have anything backed up so i didnt want to reset the phone and lose anything. But i tried taking everything out of the phone, battery, sim card, and sd card. and nothing. there is no error message. It seems like when i open the camcorder app, it will open up, and as soon as the auto-focus and face detection kicks it, it crashes and closes. Cause it will stay on until the little square white box shows up. I tried getting to the settings to turn it off but i closes before i get there.

Upvote 0
I don't know the procedure in your country when you get a new smart-phone. Do the carriers or shops just mail to you? For me I always like to go to the carrier and shops to get it. Upon open the box in front of the sales rep I will try out camera,video,call etc. So for some obvious problem like you face, you would have spotted it upfront and ask for an exchange.

Upvote 0
I don't know the procedure in your country when you get a new smart-phone. Do the carriers or shops just mail to you? For me I always like to go to the carrier and shops to get it. Upon open the box in front of the sales rep I will try out camera,video,call etc. So for some obvious problem like you face, you would have spotted it upfront and ask for an exchange.
it worked fine when i got the phone. Just one day i went to open up the camcorder to create a video, and it closed on me. Im not quite sure if i did something, but i dont recall ever changing anything.

Upvote 0
Rebooting is simply powering the phone down, then turning it back on. This is not to be confused with simply hitting the power button to then off the display. To power it down, press and hold down the power button until you see a menu show up, and choose power down. Doing this erases nothing.

Upvote 0
Rebooting is simply powering the phone down, then turning it back on. This is not to be confused with simply hitting the power button to then off the display. To power it down, press and hold down the power button until you see a menu show up, and choose power down. Doing this erases nothing.
i figured reboot meant restoring the phone to the factory settings. to answer your question, yes it still does it after turning the phone off then back on. ive even tried taking the batter out while the phone was on.

Upvote 0
Ah, you were thinking of a factory reset, as that returns it back to how it was from the "factory" and wipes all of your data off of it.

Back to your original issue, is it giving you an error message? If so, what is it?
thanks for the response. and no it does not have an error message. like i said earlier, it seems like when i open the camcorder app, it will open up, and as soon as the auto-focus and face detection kicks it, it crashes and closes. Cause it will stay on until the little square white box shows up. I tried getting to the settings to turn it off but i closes before i get there.

Upvote 0
Are you using a camcorder app for the short cut? If so which one and have you tried a different camcorder app? Does it crash if you don't use the short cut, by using it from the app's drawer?

I've never thought about having a camcorder short cut on the home screen but it is a good idea to have it for quick video recordings. Since I've read this thread, I found Shoot on Google Play and installed it. It's working out pretty good for now.

Just a thought!

Upvote 0
OP, is there an open to enter into the camera mode, and from there switch over to camcorder? If so, maybe that'll let you suitable whatever feature that you're trying to turn off.
yes, when i open my camera app, there is a menu where i can switch to video mode. but it does the same thing when i switch. so what i did, is i tried to take off the face detection and auto focus on my camera to see if it worked on video mode also, but it didnt. I dont know what to do anymore. thanks for the responses!

Upvote 0
Are you using a camcorder app for the short cut? If so which one and have you tried a different camcorder app? Does it crash if you don't use the short cut, by using it from the app's drawer?

I've never thought about having a camcorder short cut on the home screen but it is a good idea to have it for quick video recordings. Since I've read this thread, I found Shoot on Google Play and installed it. It's working out pretty good for now.

Just a thought!
ive tried all of the camcorder short cuts in my app store. the problem is, is that is goes straight to my original camcorder, and it still closes on me with no error message.

Upvote 0
Well, I only have two suggestions left at this point.

A. Try replacing the camcorder altogether, and use a 3rd party app that's not just a shortcut to the camera you currently use.

B. If it *reeeeaaaallllyyyy* bugs you, you can always try a factory reset, and wipe it back to how it came out of the box (OS upgrades you may have received notwithstanding).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones