• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camcorder? H.263 or MPEG4

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Just started playing around with the camcorder app today. Which is a better file format to get the best quality the camcorder app is currently capable of? Are there pluses and minuses to one or the other. This might be a separate issue, but when I tried playing .mpeg4 videos back on Windows Media Player I did not have any sound, I have not tried h.263? Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

Just started playing around with the camcorder app today. Which is a better file format to get the best quality the camcorder app is currently capable of? Are there pluses and minuses to one or the other. This might be a separate issue, but when I tried playing .mpeg4 videos back on Windows Media Player I did not have any sound, I have not tried h.263? Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

I wanted to reply to this because I had the same problem. It turns out that the Incredible uses AMR (adaptive multi-rate) audio, which is a bullshit codec that is heavily patented and requires a license fee. Quicktime will play back videos with this audio, but WMP and VLC will not. I also couldn't use Handbrake to convert these files to anything else, since it can't read the audio either.

I found a tool that lets you convert 3GP files with AMR audio to plain old MP4. It's here: 3GP Converter - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com

Download the zip file and extract it. Open the 3GP_Converter.ini file in notepad and change the Language=Japanese to Language=English. Now you can run the program and choose your output file format. I chose General: MP4, H.264 (MPEG4/AVC) for PC. On the Incredible, I set the format to MPEG4 and the video resolution to VGA. When you convert the 3gp file to mp4 using this program, you can select VGA high quality as the output type and it will result in very good video.

If anyone knows of a better method of converting these files, please let me know. Also, if there is a better video recording app for Android that will bypass all this stupid AMR nonsense, I'd love to hear about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones