1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Camera access and permissions

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by humblydo, Aug 1, 2013.

1. humblydo

humblydo Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2013
    Hello all. I'm new to android stuff so please bear with me. :eek: Basically I have a couple questions on what gets to access your camera and how (I'm using an s3).

1) I read in forum posts that some apps ask permission to access your phone camera. If the app is installed (and so permission is granted), would it be in any way possible for it to take videos/pictures without your knowledge? Say if I were taking a dump while using the app?

2) What about accessing websites/pics/links etc. while using the web browser, can they pose a risk for the reasons above?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Advertisement

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
  3. humblydo

humblydo Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2013
    Ah, thanks. I actually read that post earlier and it was very helpful as a general guide. But it doesn't quite seem to address the questions I posted =/

4. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    1) My understanding is that, in theory an app could trigger the camera - serve 'em right if they caught you on the khazi, IMO :D

2) In theory it's possible that you could succumb to a drive by but you would have to approve an install .. or something. IMO: if a web page prompts you to install or allow anything that you haven't specifically requested, Just Say No.

When you get or if you have 4.3 - or whatever replaces it as it appears a little flaky at the minute - there is a hidden tool that allows you to override these individual permissions, i.e. if you have an app that requires access to the camera when it installs, you can install it (allowing the access) then subsequently deny the access. There are threads on here that discuss how to find and use this hidden tool. I believe similar tools are available on rooted phones but this is all way beyond my meagre knowledge.

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    Yes, if the app has permissions to functions, it can use them. You have to know when to ask yourself, does the app need this permission. A solitaire app doesn't need access to your contacts, full internet permission, and access to running apps list more than likely. It may, however, need access to phone state so it can pause itself when your phone rings.