• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera and Kindle froze at the same time

I was taking pictures and videos with my phone and suddenly the video froze. I was unable to get anything to respond on the screen except the square button that cascaded all the currently open apps. So I closed the camera by tapping the X while on that screen. I reopened my camera app and tried my video again, it locked up my phone again. Repeat with the square button. I reopened camera again and tried to take a still. Nothing. All I got was a wee flag that read "Cannot save" on it. Well pooh. I figured if I gave it some time it'll reassert itself and I could carry on. Hope, as you know, is eternal. So I closed the camera and opened my Amazon Kindle app to continue reading my book and all I got was a blank white screen and the little round symbol letting me know it was thinking about slapping down my book. Well - it thought and thought and thought and after a 5 minute wait, I thought I'd better give up. I tried a few more apps and nothing else seems to be out of sorts. Fast forward to the next day: rinse and repeat the above. Pooh. I can't document my work and I can't read my book which is very interesting (to me, anyway). It's been a week now, rinse and repeat each day so the blinking thing isn't gonna shake itself out.

So what do I need to do to get these two apps going again? I have the LG V40 ThinQ ver9 Sfw ver V405UA206

I was taking pictures and videos with my phone and suddenly the video froze. I was unable to get anything to respond on the screen except the square button that cascaded all the currently open apps. So I closed the camera by tapping the X while on that screen. I reopened my camera app and tried my video again, it locked up my phone again. Repeat with the square button. I reopened camera again and tried to take a still. Nothing. All I got was a wee flag that read "Cannot save" on it. Well pooh. I figured if I gave it some time it'll reassert itself and I could carry on. Hope, as you know, is eternal. So I closed the camera and opened my Amazon Kindle app to continue reading my book and all I got was a blank white screen and the little round symbol letting me know it was thinking about slapping down my book. Well - it thought and thought and thought and after a 5 minute wait, I thought I'd better give up. I tried a few more apps and nothing else seems to be out of sorts. Fast forward to the next day: rinse and repeat the above. Pooh. I can't document my work and I can't read my book which is very interesting (to me, anyway). It's been a week now, rinse and repeat each day so the blinking thing isn't gonna shake itself out.

So what do I need to do to get these two apps going again? I have the LG V40 ThinQ ver9 Sfw ver V405UA206

I don't mean to be stupid, but have you turned your phone off, counted to 10, and restarted it? You didn't say and I have no idea how much you know.
If that didn't work, then next would be to try a soft reset. That won't delete anything from your phone as long as your battery isn't drained.
Simultaneously press and hold the Volume Down button (left edge) and the Power button (right-side) until the device powers off (approximately 5 seconds) then release.
linote.gif
Allow several seconds for the reboot process to complete.
Let us know if any if these help. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to be stupid, but have you turned your phone off, counted to 10, and restarted it? You didn't say and I have no idea how much you know.
If that didn't work, then next would be to try a soft reset. That won't delete anything from your phone as long as your battery isn't drained.
Simultaneously press and hold the Volume Down button (left edge) and the Power button (right-side) until the device powers off (approximately 5 seconds) then release.
linote.gif
Allow several seconds for the reboot process to complete.
Let us know if any if these help. Good luck.

Nope, you're not stupid. I'm 70 and unlearning everything I used to know. So consider me one of the needy ones.

Yup. Turned phone off and restarted. I'll do the soft reset. Meanwhile - I go into SETTINGS-STORAGE-INTERNAL STORAGE and select Free Up Space. Does that clear the cache for both apps? If not, where do I go, please?

Upvote 0
Nope, you're not stupid. I'm 70 and unlearning everything I used to know. So consider me one of the needy ones.

Yup. Turned phone off and restarted. I'll do the soft reset. Meanwhile - I go into SETTINGS-STORAGE-INTERNAL STORAGE and select Free Up Space. Does that clear the cache for both apps? If not, where do I go, please?

You're doing fine. I'm 65 and remember when modems used your phone's handset strapped into it. You're correct with selecting Free up space. I check the top two because I don't want to delete my downloaded files. That should do it but I would double check by going into Settings, General, Apps & Notifications, Apps and pick the individual apps causing your problems. Then go to Storage (in each app) and clear their cache. That should do it and welcome to the group. I hope you didn't hit your head too hard. Lol

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
You're doing fine. I'm 65 and remember when modems used your phone's handset strapped into it. You're correct with selecting Free up space. I check the top two because I don't want to delete my downloaded files. That should do it but I would double check by going into Settings, General, Apps & Notifications, Apps and pick the individual apps causing your problems. Then go to Storage (in each app) and clear their cache. That should do it and welcome to the group. I hope you didn't hit your head too hard. Lol

Only a slight red mark on the forehead. snicker. Yeah, I remember the handsets. Top of the line!!! Okay, glad to know I haven't forgotten everything. whew. Glad to be here and truly appreciate the quick resolution. LOVE the look on the dog's face in your Avatar. What did you do to get that hairy eyeball? LOL

Upvote 0
Only a slight red mark on the forehead. snicker. Yeah, I remember the handsets. Top of the line!!! Okay, glad to know I haven't forgotten everything. whew. Glad to be here and truly appreciate the quick resolution. LOVE the look on the dog's face in your Avatar. What did you do to get that hairy eyeball? LOL

Its called lack of sleep and it's a looong story. As far as my avatar, she was my baby and I use that photo to honor her. This is a friendly group and we are always happy to help.

Upvote 0
and just an fyi re-booting the phone will clear all of the caches rather then going one by one.
I don't mean to be argumentative, but you're incorrect. Please check a few apps after restarting and/or soft resettiing your phone. Their caches are still intact. I'm positive because I just completed doing both. My guess is that a hard reset would do as you say, but I'm not willing to check.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to be argumentative, but you're incorrect. Please check a few apps after restarting and/or soft resettiing your phone. Their caches are still intact. I'm positive because I just completed doing both. My guess is that a hard reset would do as you say, but I'm not willing to check.
how do you know? cache is just temp files basically. and when your phone is powering off, part of the process is to clear out all of the temp files cache and data and starts to build new cache as the phone is booting up. so i'm not sure what you mean that your cache is intact because the phone just builds new files as it boots up.

at least that is how i understand how android works.

Upvote 0
how do you know? cache is just temp files basically. and when your phone is powering off, part of the process is to clear out all of the temp files cache and data and starts to build new cache as the phone is booting up. so i'm not sure what you mean that your cache is intact because the phone just builds new files as it boots up.

Just check. You can go into Settings-General-Storage-Internal Storage- Free up space. Again, resetting the phone doesn't change the temporary files. In the old days, pulling the battery would clear the caches. But now, when you restart your phone or even do the soft reset (which supposedly simulates pulling the battery) there is still power in the phone. I've learned that from extensive reading. That's why the experts suggest manually clearing your phones cache every so often to minimize problems. I thought like you, that restarting or soft resetting a phone would kill the power. I was told by a number of moderators and articles that I was wrong. So that's the way I understand things work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Upvote 0

I did some further checking on my own. It turns out that we are both right. All the apps I checked had a cache of 16.38 kb if they haven't been used for awhile or they don't build a cache. When I cleared those caches, they got rebuilt immediately. (I didn't have to restart my phone) They were rebuilt to the same size. However, on apps that had a larger cache, when I cleared them, their caches got rebuilt immediately also, but only to the standard 16.38 kb size. So I humbly admit that I might not be 100% correct and the 100% correct answer is probably somewhere in the middle between the two of us and much more complex. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones