• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camera (and motion video) talk - the Ultrapixel and more (tips/discussion)

Here's another example of the HTC One vs. another Smartphone's camera. This time in an applicable, everyday use scenario.

Samsung Note 2

HTC One

And a couple comparisons of zoomed-in shots for the purpose of comparing resolution at lower light.

Both shots have the HTC One on the right, and the Samsung on the left.

Upvote 0
What is the largest size one could print? I take a lot of photos with my phone, but curious what effect the "Ultrapixel" will now have on printing photos. I've previously tried to print large photos from a phone, and they generally turn out pixelated. Anyone know more about this than me? Are we restricted to 5x7 or smaller?
Also, could someone link me to a thread about facebook reducing photo/video quality when posting ONE pics/videos to facebook. It seems my pics and videos look crappy when uploaded to facebook.

Upvote 0
Pixelation on prints could have been resolution or could have been jpeg compression artifacts.

A full frame picture will go to 8x10 at 200 dpi (if arithmetic is my friend today).

It's going to depend on cropping and original picture quality and what you're looking for as to if you'll find that acceptable.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I know on my onex+, I made sure I was taking pics at full resolution...
I just tried to check my ONE and when opening the camera app, clicking the three dots in the corner to open the settings, I couldn't tell the resolution of my current pics? How can I find out what resolution my main camera is taking?
Also, when I was in there, I noticed under the video mode, there was HDR...High Def Resolution? What is that? Is it not 1080p by default? Sorry for all the questions, just learning.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Ok... Noticed my camera setting was currently "normal", switched it to HDR, does that mean I'll get better quality pics now? Obviously I'm aware they will be larger file too.
Also looks the camera defaults back to "normal" when app is closed and reopened later.

*Edit:
Thanks for the input on HDR. I'll have to test it out when I'm outside sometime. Dark out now.

Upvote 0
You want to think of HDR as an exposure setting, that why it reverts back to normal.

You had it on your One X for still pictures, now you have it for film (video) as well.

In the following two images (on my One X), the first is without HDR, the second is with it. (Pixelation is from me compressing the image, not from the One X. You can see some picture artifacts from HDR if you know what to look for. If you don't, don't sweat it.)

37251d1344398549-images-taken-your-evo-4g-lte-uploadfromtaptalk1344398548211.jpg

37250d1344398486-images-taken-your-evo-4g-lte-uploadfromtaptalk1344398484654.jpg

When things are overcast - or when things are very bright and you lose detail in the dark shadows, as happened above - then HDR can help you.

In the second picture, I got a higher dynamic range of colors between the bright and dark places - hence - HDR.

You don't want to use it all of the time, but it's great when you need it.

Here are some great HDR shots from the HTC Rezound. Overcast day, but look how the colors on the train cars just *pop*!

I am really digging this camera. Especially the HDR Backlight Mode. I had some fun with it this weekend:

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0358.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

I'm on the older phone, so - in your settings - do you still have one for aspect ratio/resolution?

That's where you'd set for highest photo quality.

And please notice - a 1080p big TV has far fewer dots than your camera at full resolution.

A 1080p TV has only 2 MP pictures.

That's been part of my argument against the megapixel myth for a long time.

Hope this helps!

PS - If curious, here's the fuller resolution pic of that train with an HTC enhancement filter applied - this was exactly what I had in mind when I shot it, I wanted to show a bleak scene with desert heat.
7737029406_5fc610c0b7_h_d.jpg

Upvote 0
Pics taken under "normal" mode result in resolution of 1520x2688 and the size varies from 1.54MB to 2.4MB... usually around that range, anywhere in between. Size seems small...? Why the difference in MB in every pic?

*hits the buzzer*
What is compression, Alex??? :D

Really, though, I'm NO WHERE near the experts Early, Novoxx and Marc are, but I believe compression is one of the issues some shutterbugs have with HTC cameras. But, I would default to their infinite (at least in comparison) knowledge.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I've been on here reading a lot of posts and they've been helping me a lot. So, much so, that last weekend I made the impulse to upgrade my phone and get the HTC One from an old school Epic 4G (and I was preparing myself to get the photon q lol). I was planning on just testing it for two weeks and deciding if I wanted to return it for a lack of a keyboard, but it looks like this thing is growing on me, especially the camera, the ZOE feature, and general quickness of the phone.

With that said, I've been using the camera a lot, taking bunches of pictures, creating zoes, creating highlights, etc. and I've been enjoying the experience. The thing I noticed, though, that even though the phone is touted to work well in low light situations, I still sometimes take pictures that come out too dark in those situations. Also, they come out blurry sometimes, even with the burst shot to get the best shot mode.

So, I wanted to reach out to the community and see if there are any general camera settings, when you get to certain environments and situations, that are your go-to setting to get the most out of your camera and create the best image possible? I.E. HDR for outdoor shots, Macro for close up, Normal for day to day, etc. And also, any general use cases for ZOE that you've grown accustomed to up to this point. I.E. Do you use them strictly for highlights? Do you make a lot of Action Shots? Do you use them to find the best shots? etc.

I know this is a long post, but I'm kind of a talker and I wanted to let it all out, since I've been reading so much on here. I'm hoping this thread could turn into a sort of "Tips and Tricks for the HTC One Camera" thread. :eek:) Thanks in advance for the help!

Upvote 0
I don't change any settings other than macro, for close up shots. I'm never in the situation to where I'm shooting in low light, so I can't speak to that. But I take a lot of photos, and haven't experienced any blur issues.

Before I shoot...I like to touch on the screen of what I am focusing on and it works really great. Have you tried that prior to shooting?

Upvote 0
Here's a comparison of the HTC One's camera before and after the update - if anyone wants to know or doesn't know yet.
HTC One vs HTC One Camera Performance After the Update | Pocketnow

Thanks for sharing that. The first before and after pics...seems to address the one situation to where I thought the camera failed. In the evening, the sky would be washed out of the shot. Or if you focused on the sky, everything was too dark to see. Not the case in that after update photo

Upvote 0
I'd also still like to hear how some people are using their ZOE's, if it's being used at all for that matter. I've been mainly using them for the highlight reels and I've used a couple of the burst photos for individual shots, but that's it. I'm trying broaden my horizon to the various use cases that are applied to it. I tried to do a sequence shot, but I keep getting the "Unable to continue because not enough images to process" message. That's happened a couple of times, come to think about it.

Upvote 0
I'd also still like to hear how some people are using their ZOE's, if it's being used at all for that matter. I've been mainly using them for the highlight reels and I've used a couple of the burst photos for individual shots, but that's it. I'm trying broaden my horizon to the various use cases that are applied to it. I tried to do a sequence shot, but I keep getting the "Unable to continue because not enough images to process" message. That's happened a couple of times, come to think about it.

I been using them for the highlight reel as well, I love it! I'll be playing more with the camera/zoe options when I go to the beach :)
And it is pretty neat that the zoe's randomly play in your camera shots, get's people every time lol

Upvote 0
I was in a fairly dark room the other night and tried to use the Night Mode on my camera and the picture didn't really come out as some i've seen on this site and from reviews of the phone. So what setting do you use for low light situations??

There's such a thing as too little light - but - you can try to increase the ISO setting (go to a bigger number) in the camera settings in addition to Night mode.

Pictures may be grainier - and you will need to use a steady hand under ultra-low-light conditions.

You can also try to increase the exposure under settings on top of that.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones