• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera App for Android with Raw Shooting Capability?

ImperialJohn

Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone know if there is a good Camera App for Android with Raw Shooting Capability?

Do you know if the Camera Zoom Fx does Raw? And if not is this still a worthwhile (paid) upgrade from the standard GB Camera app? It seems to be highly rated, but I'm not sure if offers much more than the standard Camera app on GB to make it worthwhile as a paid for upgrade.

Thanks,

John

I have both. But I'm afraid I haven't spent enought time with it to be able to give you a good hard review. What features are you interested in or what shortfalls have you found the in original GB camera app that lead you to want this? For reference I have an iPhone and a DSLR and I have been shooting since I was 6 and shooting fairly seriously since I was 11 or 12. My dad was a camera buff and I have had multiple brands including Cannon, Nikon and Pentax over the years.

For what it is worth I will say that I like the controls on the app. They are pretty inituitive and useful. It respects the camera button if you have a dedicated one like my wife and I do (Droid X and D2G).

EDIT: Oh and I have no idea what file format the pictures are saved in - but since there is no option for post processing the whitebalance that I have seen and since the files seem to open in any viewer I assume there is no RAW file component hidden under the covers.

Upvote 0
No Camera FX does not allow for a file to be saved in the RAW format. No app that I've seen offers any other file format than jpeg that & I've looked at a LOT of photo imaging apps. I think that would have to be done via the Camera Sensor software at the Android OS level at the time of capture & before the jpeg was created to pass on the info to any other app. I can't imagine RAW is desireable by the Mfg. to include due to the file size increase for the average person & the raw software processing power required for user processing in camera. I'd imagine that today's phones are only & barely acquiring enough cpu resources to consider processing raw files. I'd prefer to have that option too but someone is going to have to hack in to figure it out.

Best you can do is to fiddle with your stock camera app settings & to turn off or to dial down any sharpening, & to increase the resolution to the max, try to use manual ISO control & keep it as low as possible & keep any saturation or exposure or contrast adjustments to a minimum to prevent too much in camera jpeg processing. I use an HTC DHD & have figured out what settings work best for the least in camera processing & output quality. But I do fiddle with them to on an individual image basis.

Camera FX only allows for different jpeg quality levels of compression, much like the stock camera app. It's a nice app otherwise. Wait for it to go on sale. I picked it up for 10 cents during the sale a couple of weeks ago. You can likely do without until then.

Maybe future generations of smartphones will allow Raw capture saving as these phones are quickly replacing P&S cameras, at least for me. But few P&S cameras offer Raw saving until you get into the more expensive models, even though I believe that all devices initially capture in a raw code but instantly process the raw data into the jpeg format. So RAW saving can likely be done but it may need better cpu use for the user processing software after capture?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones