• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camera app that shoots horizontally

pentel

Sep 1, 2011
Is there an Android app that guarantees the photo that you're taking or video that you're shooting is shot horizontally?

Something like the iPhone's Horizon Camera app.

Horizon Camera
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id778576249

http://www.phonearena.com/news/New-...e-camera-on-your-Apple-iPhone-or-iPad_id51404

A new app for the Apple iPhone and the Apple iPad, Horizon, guarantees that the video you're shooting, or the photo you're taking with the device's camera, is shot horizontally. With the app, it doesn't matter how you are holding the phone or tablet while you use the camera. You can switch back and forth between portrait and landscape while filming a video and no one would even notice. Using the app eliminates those vertical videos with the black bars on the sides. Eliminating that ugliness alone is worth the 99 cents that Horizon costs.

yes, there is,

it is called "your hands", turn the phone over horizontally, and that way, all the pictures will be composed as they should be.

I turn on Grid Lines so that I can ensure that the main subject is within the center of the frame, otherwise, the picture does not view well

This is not a helpful reply. Either you have nothing to contribute or you are jealous of the Horizon developers :)

Let me see if anyone else who knows.

Is there an Android app that guarantees the photo that you're taking or video that you're shooting is shot horizontally?

Horizon Camera
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id778576249

Upvote 0
You mean an app that crops a horizontal frame from the image at whatever angle you hold the camera? Not my cup of tea, but if that's what you want then just look in the Play Store for the Android version from the same developer.

(If you are wondering why "not my cup of tea", it's because I personally don't think the heavy cropping the developer's first image shows is a price worth paying. But your mileage may vary, as they say).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You mean an app that crops a horizontal frame from the image at whatever angle you hold the camera? Not my cup of tea, but if that's what you want then just look in the Play Store for the Android version from the same developer.

(If you are wondering why "not my cup of tea", it's because I personally don't think the heavy cropping the developer's first image shows is a price worth paying. But your mileage may vary, as they say).

Thanks. If it is heavy cropping that this app does, then this app is not that great. Otherwise the app is good for being able to hold the phone comfortably in a vertical grip and yet shoot horizontally.

I read the same comments from the users and Horizon's response:
"Misleading App!!! You guys are misleading people into believing that it actually records horizontally in full resolution, which in fact all the app does is auto crop the vertical video. This means you get a very narrow field of view and a very low quality and low resolution video. Edit: Nowhere in the description do they disclose sensor cropping."

Horizon Video Technologies Inc.'s reply:
"We are not misleading anyone. The screenshots and the description show how Horizon works and we have also a live demo and video trailers on our website. The quality of the resulting video depends on the resolution you choose."

Upvote 0
Well there's going to be heavy cropping if you want horizontal aspect ratio pictures from when the phone and sensor are in the vertical position, that's it. There's no other way to do it AFAIK.

Basically you're chopping off the top and bottom of a portrait mode image.

Otherwise if you want full resolution horizontal landscape mode photos and videos, just hold the phone in the appropriate orientation.

That's effectively what it's doing, phone was held vertical and so made a portrait mode photo, then cropped to horizontal landscape aspect, obviously losing resolution and narrowing the field of view course.
24678e65ad70b55e5e9697361629e896.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well there's going to be heavy cropping if you want horizontal aspect ratio pictures from when the phone and sensor are in the vertical position, that's it. There's no other way to do it AFAIK.

Basically you're chopping off the top and bottom of a portrait mode image.

Otherwise if you want full resolution horizontal landscape mode photos and videos, just hold the phone in the appropriate orientation.

That's effectively what it's doing, phone was held vertical and so made a portrait mode photo, then cropped to horizontal landscape aspect, obviously losing resolution and narrowing the field of view course.
24678e65ad70b55e5e9697361629e896.jpg

Thanks for the education. It did sounds like there is no other way to shoot horizontally while holding the device vertically without cropping. Your screenshot explains it all.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
You did not like my reply, but it is the ONLY real answer.
the others told you why, severe cropping destroys most pictures.

Your post is garbage. You said hands and made no mention about cropping. The others have said there is such an app for Android, and the app is from Horizon themselves.

Like what I say, if you have nothing to contribute or have no answers or are simply jealous of the Horizon developers, you don't have to post anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones