• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

camera clicking noise? normal?

kraze0g

Android Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
just wondering if this is normal or not, someone told me it is normal for the droid...

for instance - when your on the home screen and you hold the camera button down, it'll make about 3-clicks when starting up. it also makes the clicking noise when it is focusing before taking the photo..

the most noticable is when using an app like shopsavvy or barcode scanner... are these apps supposed to be focusing back and forth non stop? and if so, is it 'normal' for that clicking noise to go non-stop while it is focusing back and forth?

thanks guys.

just wondering if this is normal or not, someone told me it is normal for the droid...

for instance - when your on the home screen and you hold the camera button down, it'll make about 3-clicks when starting up. it also makes the clicking noise when it is focusing before taking the photo..

the most noticable is when using an app like shopsavvy or barcode scanner... are these apps supposed to be focusing back and forth non stop? and if so, is it 'normal' for that clicking noise to go non-stop while it is focusing back and forth?

thanks guys.
Unfortunately yes thats normal. Well, for me it is anyways

Upvote 0
Not sure why yours is doing it constantly in barcode scanner. That app is working fine for me.

well it does it in barcode scanner and shopsavvy... it appears that the camera is constantly 'zooming' in and out as if its trying to focus non-stop or something, which is causing the clicking to be non-stop as well...

anyone else have this problem?? if i could stop the program from constantly zooming in and out it would stop clicking.

Upvote 0
well it does it in barcode scanner and shopsavvy... it appears that the camera is constantly 'zooming' in and out as if its trying to focus non-stop or something, which is causing the clicking to be non-stop as well...

anyone else have this problem?? if i could stop the program from constantly zooming in and out it would stop clicking.

Hold your hand more still. I find that if I don't hold still, or if there is a nasty reflection, the camera has a tough time getting the barcode.

But that's normal, it's just trying to focus. Just learn to work with it.

img.php

Upvote 0
Hold your hand more still. I find that if I don't hold still, or if there is a nasty reflection, the camera has a tough time getting the barcode.

But that's normal, it's just trying to focus. Just learn to work with it.

hmm.. so your barcode app does the same thing where it zooms in and out non stop making the clicking noise non-stop until it actually recognizes the barcode? - i could hold my hand perfectly still or do anything and it'll just keep going inward and outward making the clicking non stop which is quite annoying..

Upvote 0
hmm.. i dont think i understand?
someone just posted above that their barcode scanner apps don't do it non-stop.. mine does..

My Droid camera was very noisy. The Eris is definitely quieter so the Droid camera would seem really noisy to you coming from the Eris. Is the date bug still in play with the Droid? When it was a bad focus cycle, it did what you described with the barcode apps. When it was a good focus cycle, it did not.

Upvote 0
My Droid camera was very noisy. The Eris is definitely quieter so the Droid camera would seem really noisy to you coming from the Eris. Is the date bug still in play with the Droid? When it was a bad focus cycle, it did what you described with the barcode apps. When it was a good focus cycle, it did not.

hmm.. not sure what the date bug is but it's just with these barcode apps.. they do get the barcode fine but it sounds awfully painful in the process since its 'creaking/clicking' non-stop like as if it wants to keep trying to focus no matter how steady i hold the phone or how close i am to the barcode...

Upvote 0
Does it sound like this? If that's what you're hearing it's just the camera focusing.

thats the noise! and it doesn't ever stop! how come ours does it and some people's just stop or doesn't do it at all.

in the mp3, you can hear the series of clicking noises, then stop, then repeat over and over... even after finding a barcode... sounds like a creaking door being open and closed.. from what i was told it's not supposed to do this? it's supposed to stop focusing and remain steady and not keep doing it...

can someone else tell me if this is 'normal' ?

thx - i sttill think im gonna return it to the store if we're the ones having the problem and not others.

Upvote 0
thats the noise! and it doesn't ever stop! how come ours does it and some people's just stop or doesn't do it at all.

in the mp3, you can hear the series of clicking noises, then stop, then repeat over and over... even after finding a barcode... sounds like a creaking door being open and closed.. from what i was told it's not supposed to do this? it's supposed to stop focusing and remain steady and not keep doing it...

can someone else tell me if this is 'normal' ?

thx - i sttill think im gonna return it to the store if we're the ones having the problem and not others.

It's just the camera trying to focus. When I made the recording I had the camera pressed up to my macbook's camera, cause that's where the mic is. If it kept doing that while taking a picture with the camera app, that's when I'd worry about it. It should just do a few click-click's when it's focusing then stop. I think that's just the way the barcode app works, once it focuses on the code it stops trying and takes the picture.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones