• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camera Doesn't Work, Displays Blank Screen- Help!

AHWagner

Android Enthusiast
May 20, 2010
Maryland
www.ahwagnerphoto.com
Yesterday I was listening to Pandora and I wanted to snap a picture with my EVO, so I hit the 'Home' button and then opened the Camera app. After that the little camera icon showed in the middle of the screen for a second or two and disappeared. Next the screen was blank. I also tried the camcorder and the screen was also blank. I've done many resets/pulling the battery out and I still have no luck. Any ideas as to what is causing my camera to not work at all? The only way to exit out of the blank screen is to press the 'Home' button on the phone. :(

Thanks for the help!

UPDATE/EDIT: I uninstalled Pandora and now it works.

UPDATE #2: It seems like it work once and now it doesn't work at all.

Well I went to Sprint and they said that the camera defect is covered under HTC's 1 year warranty. They said I pay a $35 deductible because I don't have insurance on my EVO.

i am one of the few that still don't believe that this $35 fee is being charged accordingly. it was my understanding that the fee is charged if a user damages their phone. feel free to ask to speak to the manager and to see the description/policy of this fee in person.

be respectful. i have never seen the full policy regarding this fee...but what I have found on the web leads me to believe that they are simply charging it for everything.

and in your case...$35 sure beats having to buy another phone.

if you can get a copy of the policy that would be awesome. then I can stop posting my doubts :)

Upvote 0
I'm having similar problems. After a soft reset, I can start up the camera app and shoot pictures. If I try to switch to the front facing camera, it goes black and freezes up like others have described in this thread. After I force close the app, if I try to open the app back up, I get the camera icon for one second and then back to home screen. Very frustrating.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure. When I had an HTC Touch Pro, there was a known issue with the plastic chrome edges chipping away. It didn't affect the phone operation at all, purely cosmetic. However, I called Sprint customer service about it and they sent me a brand new phone (not even refurbed).

My suggestion is that if you have any doubts about whether it'd be covered, call Sprint. They're much more willing to handle issues than stores. You could try calling a Sprint store anonymously to see what they say.

Upvote 0
i am one of the few that still don't believe that this $35 fee is being charged accordingly. it was my understanding that the fee is charged if a user damages their phone. feel free to ask to speak to the manager and to see the description/policy of this fee in person.

be respectful. i have never seen the full policy regarding this fee...but what I have found on the web leads me to believe that they are simply charging it for everything.

and in your case...$35 sure beats having to buy another phone.

if you can get a copy of the policy that would be awesome. then I can stop posting my doubts :)

just call up HTC. they will send u a new phone, nextday air, that way u will always have a phone, NO CHARGE!!. i really dont know why sprint charge cuz u r using warranty...???

Upvote 0
HURRAY I found solution, hopefully for you also!

structure:
- my issue
- not working solutions
- solution
- conclusion

my issue:
- after launching camera (no matter in which app) just blank screen, back button, menu button do not work only home. I used original ROM, no adaptions, no intrusion, package new. I installed couple apps from Market.

not working solution:
- hard reset (erase sd, erase mobile)
- downgrade to older ROM

working solution:
- I flashed new ROM and made deletion by Super wipe, after whalaaa works!!

conclusion:
- good news, it is not HW thing, probably superwipe helps, when hard reset is not enough. Note that I had gingerbread, I downgraded to older system first, without superwipe - camera still did not work. Then superwipe and new rom (revolution hd) and works like it did..

hope I helped.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones