• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help camera flash crashes phone

If I try to take a pic with the flash activated, it takes it and immediately shuts the phone off. Only way to get it back on is by pulling the battery. This plus all the weak 3G/4G and WIFI signals with slow performance issues is about to make me take this POS back any day. I dont know if its Samsung, Google or Sprint, but someone REALLY F'd up what could have a been a great phone.

If I try to take a pic with the flash activated, it takes it and immediately shuts the phone off. Only way to get it back on is by pulling the battery. This plus all the weak 3G/4G and WIFI signals with slow performance issues is about to make me take this POS back any day. I dont know if its Samsung, Google or Sprint, but someone REALLY F'd up what could have a been a great phone.

I HAVE THIS EXACT SAME ISSUE WITH MY NEXUS S !! AND I FOUND THE PROBLEM: THE BATTERY , I have bought a seidio battery and using it since monday, and always when the charge is under 50%, and i take a pic with flash on the phone shut down and not opening back til i remove the battery... I tried with the factory one and there is no issue! I contacted seidio and they told me to try a couple of cycle and check out if its still doing this!

What I already tried:
Try take pic with flash on with factory battery = working
Try take pic with flash on with seidio battery at up to 80% charge = working
Try take pic with flash on with seidio battery under 50% charge = shut down!
Try take pic without flash on with seidio = working
try take pic with flash on with seidio battery but plugged to the charger = working
So definatly the 3rd party battery is the issue here and I hope it will solve after a couple of charging cycle! (Now charging my 4th cycle)

Upvote 0
I HAVE THIS EXACT SAME ISSUE WITH MY NEXUS S !! AND I FOUND THE PROBLEM: THE BATTERY , I have bought a seidio battery and using it since monday, and always when the charge is under 50%, and i take a pic with flash on the phone shut down and not opening back til i remove the battery... I tried with the factory one and there is no issue! I contacted seidio and they told me to try a couple of cycle and check out if its still doing this!

What I already tried:
Try take pic with flash on with factory battery = working
Try take pic with flash on with seidio battery at up to 80% charge = working
Try take pic with flash on with seidio battery under 50% charge = shut down!
Try take pic without flash on with seidio = working
try take pic with flash on with seidio battery but plugged to the charger = working
So definatly the 3rd party battery is the issue here and I hope it will solve after a couple of charging cycle! (Now charging my 4th cycle)

Hmmm. I think signal strength might make a difference. I also have the Seidio 1750 battery and this was happening. when I had zero signal. Battery was at like 60 something % but I get home with 3 bars and my flash is working just fine, weird.

Upvote 0
Ok, this is for sure a power issue. I went back to the same restaurant I still had this problem. Tonight I had the Seidio 1750 at only 33% charge and trying to take a pic with the flash crashed the phone. Then when in the car, I plugged in my charger (phone at 29%) and tried again, worked perfectly. I have no clue why it doesnt just disable the flash like most other phones. I REALLY have no clue how anything under 50% isnt enough battery to power the flash for a pic :rolleyes: Has anyone tried with the stock battery?

Upvote 0
Ok, this is for sure a power issue. I went back to the same restaurant I still had this problem. Tonight I had the Seidio 1750 at only 33% charge and trying to take a pic with the flash crashed the phone. Then when in the car, I plugged in my charger (phone at 29%) and tried again, worked perfectly. I have no clue why it doesnt just disable the flash like most other phones. I REALLY have no clue how anything under 50% isn't enough battery to power the flash for a pic...

If it failed in a weak signal area it likely was due to the radio pulling a lot of current when the cell site commanded the phone to transmit higher power, plus the current drain of the flash combined to drop the voltage below the usable level. Then at home (or wherever the signal was stronger) the radio was transmitting at lower power and the voltage drop was not severe enough when the flash fired to crash the phone.

Clean the contacts on the battery, although as new as everything is that should not be a problem.

Upvote 0
Ok, this is for sure a power issue. I went back to the same restaurant I still had this problem. Tonight I had the Seidio 1750 at only 33% charge and trying to take a pic with the flash crashed the phone. Then when in the car, I plugged in my charger (phone at 29%) and tried again, worked perfectly. I have no clue why it doesnt just disable the flash like most other phones. I REALLY have no clue how anything under 50% isnt enough battery to power the flash for a pic :rolleyes: Has anyone tried with the stock battery?

Yeah, I tried this with my stock battery at 31% and it didn't crash the phone.

Look at my previous post. :D

http://androidforums.com/nexus-s-4g/337953-camera-flash-crashes-phone.html#post2712001

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones