• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

camera focus and haptic feedback issues?

mdgreene

Lurker
Jun 14, 2011
So just got my hands on a new Atrix 2. Love the design, look, feel and the new screen compared to the original Atrix.

BUT...

Camera focus - Does anyone seem to notice faulty focus issues in still pictures? I can't really poor focus on indoor shots, even with the flash on. Outdoors, it's okay, but still not as shart and crisp as what I keep reading about from all the reviews out there. I know indoors is a challenge for all camera phones, but i mean it's really poor, especially compared to the original Atrix shots. indoors, i mean with lots of bright fluorescent lights (office building). Also, i hear "popping" noises coming from the camera lens. not the camera shutter sound, but like the lens hitting the back of the case or the front protective lens. it's much more prevenlent when it's focusing on something close by (like less than a couple feet away) and then exit the camera app. I've watched the lens "pop" back into position, like a home position, but i'm not sure it should be making this popping/clicking noise and wondering if it has something to do with the poor focus. Not that a camera is what you buy a phone for, but it would be nice to be able to take pictures indoors and have the images crisp, clear, and in focus instead of sort of blurry.

Anyone else notice this or is my phone broken??

the haptic feedback - does anyone else seem to think it's makes quite an obtrusive buzzing/rattling on the phone case? normally, haptic feedback seems to be for the most part inaudible with a nice short vibration, but mine seems to be annoying "buzzy" - like it's over-amped and turned up too much. I turned it off, but I sort of like the haptic feedback. I don't see anywhere to adjust any settings for it.

Anyone else with any input please respond! This phone is so new, I can't find any feedback about these issues, if they are even issues!

Thanks!

Does anyone seem to notice faulty focus issues in still pictures?

Also, i hear "popping" noises coming from the camera lens. not the camera shutter sound, but like the lens hitting the back of the case or the front protective lens.

does anyone else seem to think it's makes quite an obtrusive buzzing/rattling on the phone case?
Thanks!
My suggestion would be to try other camera settings before you write it off. Just like a DSLR, you gotta set it appropriately to get the best results. Different modes will net different results. As for the popping sound, I have never heard any sounds like that when focusing, but when I close the camera app I hear what sounds like the shutter closing. Is that what you're talking about? Yes, hear that slight buzz or buzzing sound with the haptic feedback on...I wish we could reduce how strong it is. Just feels like it's up to high and sometimes makes one of the sensors inside buzz or vibrate too much.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback guys! It seems like maybe the buzzing and clicking might be normal, although I'm still concerned it is causing some of the camera focus issues. The haptic feedback buzz... yeah, over amped and so I guess I'll just have to live with that. anyone else find it annoying or does anyone else just turn it all off?

indoor pictures must just not be very good with or without flash... anyone else have any comments or experiences with pictures and focusing?

thanks all!

Upvote 0
I played with the camera a little more today. It seems like you have to be pretty close for the exposure to come out right. I'm hoping there is going to be a fix for this. I'm not really impressed with it the more I use it. I carry a dslr all the time so I don't plan on using the onboard camera that much. But I have been using it to take shots of my friends for contact pictures. I don't hear any noises when I use the camera.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback guys! It seems like maybe the buzzing and clicking might be normal, although I'm still concerned it is causing some of the camera focus issues. The haptic feedback buzz... yeah, over amped and so I guess I'll just have to live with that. anyone else find it annoying or does anyone else just turn it all off?

indoor pictures must just not be very good with or without flash... anyone else have any comments or experiences with pictures and focusing?

thanks all!
Maybe you should hit you your local AT&T store and play around with their floor model and see how it compares to yours. If it makes the same noises, nuff said, if not, might be a good idea to exchange yours before your time is up. I have haptic feedback turned off except for on my keyboard, but on that I can adjust the level so i've got it turned down enough to where it does what I need it to do without causing that little buzzing sound.

As for indoor pics, I dunno man, here's a pic I took in my bedroom the morning after I got my phone. As you can see it was completely dark in my room except for my TV being on

2011-10-23_12-24-13_256.jpg

And here's one I took last night of my sons phone, the only light source was the soft CFL in my ceiling fan. I'm sure you all know flourescent light isn't the best light for picture taking, but I think it came out nicely

2011-11-01_19-46-27_691.jpg

Upvote 0
okay folks,

thanks for the input. went back to the att store and swapped phones. the buzz/rattle on the haptic feedback definitely got fixed - it vibrates and has the slight buzz sound like it should, so i'm happy about that. the camera - can't tell if it's any better or not. i want to say that the focusing appears better, but it's hard to say if it really is or not. the camera lens thumping/clicking noise is still apparent when the camera turns off, so i guess that's normal...

thanks for the input!

Upvote 0
How is everyone's camera quality?

I know this is a phone and I don't expect dedicated camera quality photos but even given that, mine is awful. Colors are drab, focus is not sharp at all - indoors, outdoors, in all kinds of light and camera settings. I tried to view the photos on my computer thinking the viewing quality on the phone was bad but they look bad that way, too. I've been looking around at various reviews and searching forums, and while it seems the camera isn't the best out there, I haven't read anything that seems to match my experience. Am still within my 30 day so I could switch it out but am mainly wondering about others' camera quality. Coming from Samsung, this is my first motorola so maybe their cameras aren't so great and I just need to accept it.

Other than that I really like this phone.

Upvote 0
Just a thought: Have you cleaned your lens? These things are completely exposed and, especially for guys, they pick up a ton of lint from pockets. I know from experience with a different phone how bad this can be. Now that these phones have much more powerful cameras, it will be even more crucial to keep your lens clean.

The Atrix 2 has a nice flat cover over the lens area, easy to wipe, but still had a fingerprint when I looked. no lint likely.
My old phone was a lint magnet, and recessed so that it was hard to clean.

Upvote 0
The haptic feedback buzz... yeah, over amped and so I guess I'll just have to live with that. anyone else find it annoying or does anyone else just turn it all off?

thanks all!

I turned off the haptic because it was bothering my wife! That's a lot louder than it needs to be. Some phones are adjustable, but the A2 is just on/off.

I think the focus and quality is excellent. There is quite a lag between press and flash, though. Maybe you are moving before the picture is actually taken. I just took a very sharp picture of my keyboard, resting on three fingers. That's a pretty tight macro for most cameras, and completely beyond the ability of my fixed-focus Blackberry.

The shutter reaction is much faster if I turn off the flash.

--
Clarence

Upvote 0
Still having the same problem? Update to 2.3.6, the changes to the camera app were much needed and it is now better than CameraZoom FX....which is what I was using instead of the stock camera app due to the quality issues. Very nice improvement with this update. Good job Motorola!

Upvote 0
@mdgreene: I know this feedback is 6 months late but I just got my Atrix 2 and I can confirm that the camera does have a focus issue-My video camera starts of blurred & unfocused by default and only after 3-4 taps it gets the right focus but as soon as i shift the cam, I need to manually focus it again and the 3-4 taps is in fact extremely irritating :(

Upvote 0
@mdgreene: I know this feedback is 6 months late but I just got my Atrix 2 and I can confirm that the camera does have a focus issue-My video camera starts of blurred & unfocused by default and only after 3-4 taps it gets the right focus but as soon as i shift the cam, I need to manually focus it again and the 3-4 taps is in fact extremely irritating :(
Mine focuses automatically and very fast

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones