1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Camera/Gallery Plugin

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by eric0213, Jan 9, 2012.

1. eric0213

eric0213 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    I want to create a new app that's a plugin for the camera or gallery but I'm unsure how to get my app into the list of of apps in the gallery.

After you take picture, if you review it, there is a list of apps that you can do stuff with the picture like Facebook, email, PicSay, etc. This list of apps can also be accessed in the gallery by clicking on the icon that looks like binary tree on its side with three nodes (a dot on the left with two lines coming out heading right at angles up and down connecting to two more dots).

I'm trying to figure out how to get the app I'm writing to show up in this list. The problem is, I don't know what this is called, so I haven't been able to search on the correct terms.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. jiminaus

jiminaus Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    It's not a plugin per se. This ties into the wonderful concept of intents in Android.

Basically Gallery asks Android for all the components installed on the device that can send images.

So you need an activity in your application with the following intent filter.
    Code (Text):
    2. <intent-filter>
    3.     <action android:name="android.intent.action.SEND"/>
    4.     <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT"/>
    5.     <data android:mimeType="image/*"/>
    6. </intent-filter>

I found this "tutorial": http://eggie5.com/8-hook-share-picture-via-menu-android

Shai-Soft and eric0213 like this.
  3. eric0213

eric0213 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2012
    That makes sense. And I learned that that binary search tree looking icon means share; sharing's more practical than a BST I suppose. Just got my first Android phone a month ago, so I'm really new to this. Watched a few videos and read several articles, but until you learn the jargon, it's tough to find answers to specific questions. But then awesome people like you, jiminaus, help out the uninformed.

Thanks for the lesson and thanks also for the link, that'll come in handy!