• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camera image quality

ca1987

Lurker
Dec 27, 2012
I have just upgraded from the Intercept and was surprised to find out that the camera on that phone was much better than the one on the galaxy reverb.. Is there any way to improve image quality? Software/app?

Note: I have it set to superfine and the highest resolution. It's just JPG'd to hell and it can't take a steady shot and the colors are washed out/bleed/aren't even the right colors. The video is the same way.

I don't think there's a way to improve the quality. It defaults to the highest quality setting so I don't think there's anywhere to go from there.

My main problem with the camera is that almost every picture I take looks correct in the Gallery but when I text it to someone or transfer it to my computer they're sideways. This is a problem people are having with the Samsung S2 and S3 though, so it's not just this phone. Apparently you're supposed to only take pictures with the camera button facing up, but I've been doing that and they're still sideways. And you can forget about taking pics in portrait view. The only way to fix it is to edit each pic, rotate it and then save it again. These phones are so intricate and can do so many complex things that it's amazing they let a detail like this pass through quality control.

Upvote 0
I can't take a decent photo with my new Reverb. It's on the default highest settings and photos are blurry and washed out. Will be watching this thread for any suggestions.

You cannot move at all when shooting.

try these settings,
Self-portrait Off
Flash Auto flash
Shooting mode Single shot
Scene mode None
Exposure value 0
Focus mode Macro
Timer Off
Effects No effect
Resolution 2560x1920
White balance Auto
ISO Auto
Metering Center weighted
Guidelines Off
Image quality Superfine
GPS tag Off
Storage Memory card

Just hit the gear in the upper left corner to open dropdown. Tap each entry to edit setting.

Reactions: monkeytailz
Upvote 0
I bought CameraZoon FX when it was on sale a couple weeks ago and it won't improve image quality, but it does have a 'Stable Shot' mode where it won't snap the picture until it detects the phone has been stable enough for a couple seconds (you can set the amount of time in the settings). It has a bunch of other functions that I haven't gotten into, but the stable function was worth it by itself for me since I've always had problems with blurry pictures on phones since they're so sensitive to movement. Especially when pressing down on the physical hardware button.

Also CameraZoom FX didn't help with the sideways pictures, that's an internal Samsung problem it seems.

Edit: Just checked and it's still half off for $1.49

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=slide.cameraZoom

Upvote 0
I just wish there was a way to get rid of the horrible compression. I can fix everything else on the computer. Should have gone with the S2.. My friend has that and it takes great pictures, even better than my intercept (lol). I wonder why they messed up so bad on this phone. Guess I'll just keep the intercept to use as a camera.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what phones with camera and video capability people have had before - and are comparing the Reverb to, but to me - this phone functions well with both. Took some still shots, which are great - and took some videos the other night which came out great - as well as capturing still shots from them. The only exception I can think of was the EVO 3D....but it had a dual camera, so naturally, it took wonderful pictures.

Upvote 0
I'm playing with one called "Shot Control" -- the Focus and Shutter buttons are separate, so the autofocus is never running when you hit the shutter, which helps image quality, but you have to remember to hit focus before you take your shot.

Shot Control with scene set to "text" and color set to "mono" has replaced my favorite scanner app for copying text or receipts.

The app does have some drawbacks:

1. It does not use the hardware camera button
2. It saves my photos to the internal sdcard, not my add-on card
3. It has it's own camera roll rather than using your choice of photo viewer (may bother you if you're picky)

Upvote 0
You cannot move at all when shooting.

try these settings,
Self-portrait Off
Flash Auto flash
Shooting mode Single shot
Scene mode None
Exposure value 0
Focus mode Macro
Timer Off
Effects No effect
Resolution 2560x1920
White balance Auto
ISO Auto
Metering Center weighted
Guidelines Off
Image quality Superfine
GPS tag Off
Storage Memory card

Just hit the gear in the upper left corner to open dropdown. Tap each entry to edit setting.

These settings above, except changing ISO to 100, fixed the color in my pics. That was my only problem. The pics were too light in color, especially with the flash, which I refer to as, "The Light of God." =) I don't have an issue with blurriness/steadiness.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones