1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General camera lens in total blackout.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lynval59, Jun 9, 2011.

1. lynval59

lynval59 Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    I have a big problem with the stock camera app on my X10i. After pressing the camera app it arrives on screen hesitantly and then I find that when trying to shoot a pic or vid the picture or screen is in total darkness yet all the icons surrounding it are all working fine and even the flash activates when prompted.after getting the software upgrade with the HD video it was working great then suddenly it just wont function anymore! Im even thinking my phone has been dropped and damaged camera or lens.thing is im away on my hols shortly and was banking on using camera and video a lot. Any ideas on what may have caused this trouble and if theres a solution to fix? I downloaded the vignette camera app and this was exactly the same..in the dark!

Advertisement

2. beau420

beau420 Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    Computer Guy
    Ottawa

First, have you tried removing the battery...leaving it a minute and starting it back up and trying the camera?

What about doing a Settings reset? (under Settings->Privacy)

I haven't seen it before, but check this:

X10 flash with setool then camera problem

But I don't see a fix.

What I would probably do next to fix it is do a backup of you contacts and pictures and everything and try a Factory Reset from that Settings->Privacy menu.

Or I would go all out and reinstall 2.1....or flash and install a generic copy of 2.1 without all the Sony stuff like Timescape and Mediascape and face recognition.

This guy asked a similar question and never got an answer -

camera of a X10 is not working at all. Please see error messages and log I got - phonegap | Google Groups

I just hope it is a software problem and not a hardware one.

I would probably download the x10 Flasher Tool and install 2.1.58 Generic and hope that after that, the camera would work.

http://androidforums.com/x10-all-things-root/272949-flashtool-guide-how-n00bies.html

3. lynval59

lynval59 Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    Hmm..thing is I rang Sony earlier on yesterday and the rep on the phone advised me to get the 2.3 pinch and zoom software update as this may kick camera back into life. I asked if this was becoming a common error and he said it was first time he had heard of this and asked if I wanted to send it off to them.so im stuck with it for now and the camera and HD video was for me its strongest feature..i mean theres no guarantee that the next upgrade wouļd ammend this cos its as likley as the first upgrade causing it! I really dont want to go down the road of sending it to Sonys surgury either cos personally im thinking it is a hardware problem now..its only just hit home that my phone has got a serious disability and its put me of Sony..thanks for your time in replying

4. KTP

KTP Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    if it is a hardware issue then why not send it to get fixed?

5. lynval59

lynval59 Lurker
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    Because in all honesty who's to say it wont happen again? It seems like ive just been unlucky but once they have had it I get the feeling it wouļd end up going back there again..

6. beau420

beau420 Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    Computer Guy
    Ottawa
    Well....there are 10s or thousands if not hundreds of thousands of current x10 users, and it is strange that there are so few forum posts from around the world that have a similar issue to yours.

There are litterally thousands of people who have personalized their x10 with a custom ROM....and thousands of people who have questions about upgrading (and those are just the people that write in English and ask questions online) and only about 10 people who reported the same problem as you.

I think it is a hardware error, and unless you feel like lightning can strike twice, I highly doubt it would happen again. I have 4 friends that have x10s and none of them have had the issue you are describing.

I have helped dozens of people on here over the past few months and none of them have ever had the problem you describe.

Don't be so pessimistic. Good luck....hope you get it fixed. And if you have any further questions, don't hesitate in asking.