1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Camera - Pics Look Better for a Split Second?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thinkbig11, Sep 22, 2011.

1. thinkbig11

thinkbig11 Member
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    I am not sure if this is normal. I noticed when I take a picture the initial still on the screen looks awesome. After a split second, it seems like the phone processes the picture and then it looks a little fuzzy/noisy. It is not horrible looking but the difference between the initial still that is taken and the final result is quite noticeable. I've taken several pictures and no matter how still I hold the phone it seems to do this every time. Has anyone else noticed this?

Advertisement

2. TheBundo

TheBundo Newbie
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Which way does it store it? Send it to your computer by email or whatever, and see how it looks, if you don't mind.

3. thinkbig11

thinkbig11 Member
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    I am storing the photos to the internal memory. The phone is bone stock and all settings are default. I don't know that a picture would do much good unless there was a way to compare the "pre-processed" picture to the final picture that gets saved. Does anyone else notice this difference during the process of taking a picture? You'll know what I mean if you watch the screen from the time you snap the pic until it saves it. For me, I take the picture and it looks very real and lifelike, then a split second later (after what seems like it is processing) it turns a little fuzzy looking, and that is the picture that gets saved. The only thing I can think of is it is compressing the photo before it saves it.

4. xxINFIDELxx

xxINFIDELxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    I know on the Evo, when you opened a picture you took from the gallery it would show sort of fuzzy. If you pinched to zoom the image would show more clearly even when you sized it back to fit the screen. Think it's a way to save RAM?

5. thinkbig11

thinkbig11 Member
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    I guess the the difference between the two could be better described as grainy. Like I said it isn't horrible, but I want to make sure it is normal.

6. paynekiller

paynekiller Member
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    is it an issue with auto-focus? i had this on my EVO for the over a year I had the phone, switched the metering mode the other night and it seemed to have done the trick

7. uminchu

uminchu Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 14, 2009
    Does it do it on every shot or mostly in low light, maybe with no flash?

8. thinkbig11

thinkbig11 Member
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    I've noticed it on every picture. Most of the pictures I've taken have been indoors, but I wouldn't consider it low light conditions. I will try some more types of pictures today and see if I notice it on all of them.

9. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    ChiTown
    i think it only happens when the picture goes away to the bottom corner. so, a bad transition image. when you go into the gallery and click on your pics and look at them, i bet their fine. i played with an epic 4g touch at a sprint store and i kinda know what ur talking about. but when i looked at the pic in the gallery, it was stunning quality.

10. Sycobob

Sycobob Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    Physicist
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm fairly sure this is no representative of the actual picture. If you look around, there's a folder where Gallery keeps a low res preview of all the images it can find. These are most likely what you see on your phone when you look through Gallery menus or the camera. The split second of higher quality you're seeing is the phone probably showing the real photo as it was taken until it make a low res version in the background, then swaps them out so you're seeing the smaller picture.

It's just a way of making it all run a little smoother. It would take a lot more processor power to show dozens of moving 8MP pictures in the Gallery app.

11. xxINFIDELxx

May 25, 2010
    At night, no flash. With Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.
    [​IMG]

unplugged1 likes this.
  12. uminchu

uminchu Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 14, 2009
    Nicely done, very sharp. Is that straight from your phone, no post processing?

13. linzgeneral

linzgeneral Well-Known Member
    None

May 29, 2010
    Nothing to worry about. The actual picture once you access it is stunning. That's just how the camera works. Threw me for a loop too until I went to the gallery or preview and noticed that the actual pic is of excellent quality.

14. xxINFIDELxx

May 25, 2010
    straight from phone, to photobucket, to here.

15. thinkbig11

thinkbig11 Member
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Time to revisit this. Has anyone else noticed skin tones to show a lot of noise? This is especially noticeable indoors or in lower light outdoors. Even in good light outdoors, it seems like there is a lot of noise in the skin tones. Everything else is amazing, but skin tones really some to show the noise. Any thoughts? I think my wife's Evo 3d shows skin tones more clearly than my Epic 4g Touch.