• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera PTP and .nomedia?

cspowers

Lurker
Dec 25, 2011
Howdy,

I am on a Galaxy Nexus with ICS 4.02 and am having a problem transferring pictures.

When I connect to my laptop in Camera (PtP) mode to a Windows PC via USB, Windows handles it fine, it asks me which picture app I want to launch. I pic Picasa Desktop. Picasa Desktop Launches and goes into import mode. So far so good. The problem is that it starts loading thumbnails for almost 500 pictures! And it crashes the Picasa importer.

Problem is, I only took about 6 pictures on my camera and those are the only ones I want to import. After much research and gnashing of teeth. I discovered that there are almost 500 pictures of cover art in the
\Galaxy Nexus\Internal Storage\Android\data\com.google.android.music\cache\artwork

folder. I don't want to import these. I want to ignore them.

I did some digging around and found that if you put an empty .nomedia file in the directory, that will teach the Gallery program to ignore those folders and not show them as albums in the Gallery program.

I looked and sure enough, there is a .nomedia file in the artwork folder. But as far as I can tell, the PTP protocol is totally ignoring the .nomedia files and trying to import every single picture file in storage regardless of whether there is a .nomedia file in the directory or not.

Is there any way to tell the PTP protocol to respect the .nomedia file or is there anyway to convince the PTP protocol to ONLY import pictures in the camera picture directory?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones