• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera Quality

chrishyamson

Lurker
Jan 4, 2018
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum and have only had my G6 for around a week. Overall, I'm enjoying the experience. However, camera quality in lower light is really poor! I've used Google pixel 4.4 APK on XDA developers but this does not really have a great deal of impact upon the clarity of the photos. Any suggestions as to any other APKs which can work? Attempted adjusting manual settings too but to no avail. I know there are limitations under low light but I'm a little disappointed considering it was a 2017 flagship 😞

Cheers

Chris

When you say that low-light quality is poor, two questions come to mind: how low light, and what are you judging against? With follow-ups, are you looking at the image overall or pixel-peeping, and what is your biggest complaint (e.g. noisy image, washed-out colours, lack of detail)?

In the end phone cameras are limited by physics: small sensors & small pixels means shot noise in low light (statistical fluctuations in the numbers of photons hitting the sensor) and that readout noise becomes significant compared to the signal you are trying to measure (with higher ISO exacerbating this). You can fight it a bit if manual mode lets you control the ISO (lower means less readout noise and longer exposure), but longer exposure means more risk of blurring due to camera shake or subject movement, so there's only so much you can do that way.

Apart from controlling ISO the only thing that a different app could really offer would be different processing choices (noise reduction, sharpening). To be honest if the Pixel camera apk doesn't improve things I doubt that others will, but you could try Open Camera, which at least lets you choose the jpeg compression level and has an option to save the RAW file (I don't know whether the LG camera can do either as I don't have this phone). If you have a raw file you can use your favourite image processing tool on a computer to control the processing however you best like it: a lot more effort and a lot less convenient, but it gives you complete control. If you can't get a satisfactory image that way then you probably are up against the limits of the sensor and light conditions.

Upvote 0
I have had the LG G6 now for one week and a few hours and change. Hands down my favorite feature on this device is the camera. There are so many things you can do with it. The manual mode is incredible. I have been goofing around trying different settings while taking pictures. I checked out the LG V30, the Samsung galaxy S8 and S8+ along with the latest and greatest from Apple I have to honestly say When it came to the camera, the G6 blew them out of the water. The only phone with a slightly better camera was the note 8 and even then the G6 still pretty much helds it own.
I will say though I am not impressed with the pop out option and the lens blur thing I am just not feeling it on this device. The G6 is a seriously underrated phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones