1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Camera randomly crashing?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gloriousnumber1, Nov 12, 2014.

1. gloriousnumber1

gloriousnumber1 Android Expert
    None

Aug 22, 2010
    Male
    Photographer
    Portland, Oregon
    Ran all updates and factory reset. All stock, but sometimes the camera says it won't open and crashes. Reboot always fixes it but I want a permanent solution.

I'm on 4.4.4 and Sense 6.0, on Verizon with my M8. Not rooted or unlocked. Factory reset less than 2 weeks ago, issue has happened only since.

Advertisement

2. mruno

mruno Android Expert
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    Male
    Home
    I would try two more things before taking it back to Verizon:
    1) Clear the camera app's data/cache
    2) Boot into Safe mode and see if it still occurs
    Report back the results here

3. gloriousnumber1

gloriousnumber1 Android Expert
    None

Aug 22, 2010
    Male
    Photographer
    Portland, Oregon

I cleared the cache and data for the camera. The issue is random and I never know when it will happen so I don't see how safe mode will help me when this only happens once and a while.

4. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Android Expert
    None

Apr 3, 2010
    This could very well be a non issue, but worth considering in a troubleshooting brainstorm.

If you have a MicroSD card installed, and the camera is set to save data to it it could be a potential hurdle.
    If you have an older or slower card, a card that is full or failing, or not seated properly it could be failing a status check and potentially force closing the camera.
    Or the storage file system could have been changed or broken. Backing up the photo and video files and starting with a fresh clean storage folder and gallery could help - adding your backed up files back after it is reconfigured could possibly help.

It should warn you or default back to internal memory if the MicroSD is failing, but if not you could manually set the camera to save to internal memory and possibly eliminate a significant external variable

Filing a support ticket with HTC could be informative, especially if they are aware of a carrier that broke the camera software in the most recent update and plan to fix it in a future maintenance update.

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    How does your Gallery version match up to the one in the Play Store? It's connected to the camera...

6. doc1964

doc1964 Android Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2010
    Male
    Scotland
    I have passwordbox on my phone and when i enable one tap log in, the camera starts crashing regularly. As soon as i disable one tap log in the camera works perfectly. It may be some conflict with an app.
    Has the problem started recently, have you installed any apps around that time, maybe try uninstalling it if you have. Good luck.

HTC One M8

The HTC One M8 is the Taiwanese company's flagship phone for the first half of 2014. It built on its predecessor with an upgraded 5-inch 1080p display, Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, and an UltraPixel rear Duo Camera.
Tags: