• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera related

My problem is that after deleting a file from DCIM folder after taking a backup on my PC (the folder where the pictures clicked from the phone are stored); when I click a new picture it is stored with a filename of the deleted file.
e.g if I hv stored Image006 on my PC and deleted it from the SD card, a new image will have the name Image006 although I have an Image035
So then wen i backup the images again i hv problem of images having the same name.
Is there a way to prevent this from happening i.e the new filename should always be the one after my last image.
Also I dnt know if this happens only in Desire or in all phones.

My problem is that after deleting a file from DCIM folder after taking a backup on my PC (the folder where the pictures clicked from the phone are stored); when I click a new picture it is stored with a filename of the deleted file.
e.g if I hv stored Image006 on my PC and deleted it from the SD card, a new image will have the name Image006 although I have an Image035
So then wen i backup the images again i hv problem of images having the same name.
Is there a way to prevent this from happening i.e the new filename should always be the one after my last image.
Also I dnt know if this happens only in Desire or in all phones.

Strange, this doesn't happen with mine. I copied some photo's off last night, just took another and the numbering has continued from the end (Image129).

If you use Windows though, can't you use the Photo & Camera wizard to rename them to something else as they are copied to the PC?

Also, I use a great piece of freeware called Irfanview on the PC. It's a very useful image manipulation tool for resizing / cropping. Also it has a batch rename function where you can rename a selected group of pictures with a custom pattern (2010_### for example).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones