• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I would go out on a limb and say if you bought your phone for the low-light picture taking capability, you made a major error. I barely get good low-light shots from my actual camera, and in no way expected my phone to be any better. Daylight pics are awesome, clear and again, considering the camera is not the "phone's" primary function, I am more than pleased.

Yes, technology has advanced since the first days of a camera on out phones, but the phone makers aren't keeping up quickly enough to improve camera quality up to expected standards.

Reactions: jerrad707
Upvote 0
I would go out on a limb and say if you bought your phone for the low-light picture taking capability, you made a major error. I barely get good low-light shots from my actual camera, and in no way expected my phone to be any better. Daylight pics are awesome, clear and again, considering the camera is not the "phone's" primary function, I am more than pleased.

Yes, technology has advanced since the first days of a camera on out phones, but the phone makers aren't keeping up quickly enough to improve camera quality up to expected standards.

I didn't make an error in why I bought the phone. I have several cameras to take good picture so thats not what I'm going for with this phone. I probably should have clarified what I meant by low light. An example would be inside the house when its dark outside and there are lights on. It uses the flash and pictures turn out more grainy then when I originally bought the phone at release. I had the same issue with my droid 3 so I'm thinking that motorolas camera tech is just bad in low light. My iPhone buddies don't have that issue. :D I also agree that daylight pics are good on the Maxx.

Upvote 0
Moto has been guilty of crappy cameras on their phones forever. Indoor shots suck, no doubt, whether it's bright or dark. I was at my kid's t-ball game yesterday, sitting in the shade and tried to take a picture of him. Since he was in the shade too, he was completely dark. It was as if I took a picture of his shadow. After adjusting the exposure, it was better, but grainy a bit. In full sunlight, it's awesome. Whatever. I just deal with it, knowing not to get too annoyed. I hate to say it, but your friend's phone does have a better camera.

There is one positive, though, it has a MUCH MUCH faster shutter speed than my old Droid X. The Maxx is pretty much instant!!

Upvote 0
So my friends and I are on our golf trip in a small Iowa town called Keokuk. We get into this restaurant to have a steak and we see a bunch of 'rockers' at the table next to us. Half way through dinner, my friend (who's a huge 80s heavy metal guy) says, "Hey...that's Eric Labar...lead guitarist for Cinderella". "No...I know who Eric Labar is...that's not him". "Yes he is". So he gets up an asks. Sure enough. It is him along with the bassist for Cinderella. They were there for a small acoustic set later that night at a bar down the road.

So after dinner, he comes over and meets us. Being a huge fan myself, I shake his hand and had my picture taken. My friends also had their pictures taken.

The short of it? My picture SUCKED!!!! Why? Because it was taken with my Droid Razr Maxx. It looked like it was taken in a heavy fog. The picture taken with my friend's Samsung GS3 was perfect. Yes we were indoor. But it wasn't a pitch dark environment.

I was very disappointed. I knew the camera was bad, but for just this once, I wanted a decent picture and didn't get it.

I'm moving on to the HTC One. Battery life was the only reason why this phone is good. Camera is perhaps its worse features.

Upvote 0
My moto cameras have always been great but the latest JB update it seems to have focus issues. I'll tap on the display to set the focus point then it will turn green to signal that is has focused then I press the shutter and it goes out of focus then partly back in then takes the picture. So there is now a delay and the pictures are all partly out of focus

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones