1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support camera takes terrible pics......

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lohung, Dec 20, 2011.

1. NCTurner

NCTurner Android Enthusiast

I also use this quite often (Camera Zoom FX):

https://market.android.com/details?...?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsInNsaWRlLmNhbWVyYVpvb20iXQ..

Very good camera app. I prefer it over the stock app. I also like (Paper Camera):

https://market.android.com/details?...51bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5kYW1hLnBhcGVyY2FtZXJhIl0.

The first one is a full feature camera app, to replace (une instead of) the stock app. Many many bells/whistles on it, too. There are also tons of free add-ons for it apparently (although I haven't downloaded any of them yet.) The second is simply a lot of fun - add effects such as charcoal, watercolor, etc. I always said I could do that in PS, but never did. I use this one more often than I thought, actually (as does my wife.)

Advertisement

2. ***This was in response to the pic of the Ferrari in the garage...

Was your camera lens dirty and possibly smudged with finger prints etc? Looks like it.
    Also did you use auto focus?

Not trying to insult or troll, that's just what my camera pics look like with a dirty lens.

3. brain85

brain85 Well-Known Member

4. finn5975

finn5975 Well-Known Member

THIS!!

The various sets you have posted are quite amazing and to be honest, of all the many, many examples I have seen in the forum, others are not turning out as well as yours. I am just curious if you used any of the editing features in gallery.

5. fam

fam Android Enthusiast

Thanks...If youre not using flash, then stabilizing your shot is key, brace it against something that doesnt move. Sometimes I tap to focus multiple times (after waiting for it to focus, tap it again) to see if it gets sharper, take a couple shots not just one...uhhm...youll also get better shots if you send me money to my paypal...;-) Theres good lighting and bad lighting you have to know the difference...

alostpacket likes this.
  6. brain85

brain85 Well-Known Member

Do you edit the photos at all or is it just straight from the phone?

Also, do you usually tap to focus or just let it auto focus?

7. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

Some pics have no exif data, indicating they were either uploaded to a site that strips the exif or ????

If the face recognition doesn't kick in, I'm ready to tap to focus just to be sure, but I'm a noob to this camera. I'm not a noob to canon 1D* series over the years.

8. fam

fam Android Enthusiast

the couple pics with no exif data I used HDR Camera app, which doesnt allow you to pick the focusing point....good for landscapes...doesnt work as well as it did on the droid x but it is a lot faster for sure. I always tap to focus....always...itll beep when it is done focusing.

alostpacket likes this.
  9. jkmasi

jkmasi Android Enthusiast

I have to basically agree with the op. Coming from the Incredible 2, which easily takes great snapshots in a wide variety of conditions, I am disappointed with the camera on the gnex. Is it a deal breaker? I'm honestly not sure yet. (However the keyboard lag I am having as I try to type this in landscape is driving me nuts!

10. fam

fam Android Enthusiast

couple more random pics...does much better at close focusing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alostpacket likes this.
  11. gwtx2

gwtx2 Newbie

Keyboard lag? I haven't had that issue. Maybe a reboot would help or perhaps your phone browser is looping on a webpage and causing lag.

12. x25064

x25064 Well-Known Member

I grow tired of people vehemently defending this phone as if its their demi-god. I grow even more tired of the elitists who scoff those who criticise it and say "omgdz yuuhatee teh phoneeee111!!"

That said, the camera is subpar. The S2 camera is, IMO better then any iphone. Now, being made by the same company, youd think the model that was a whole year newer woumd have an even better camera, or at least the same camera as the S2.. but alas, youd be wrong.

13. A2Aegis

A2Aegis Member

I know what you mean. I've gone through various Nexus/Rezound forums, and I've found a lot of arrogant people. Obviously, it's not a reflection of the whole, but it's weird how people get so worked up over a phone. Sadly, I'm still getting worked up over which one to get, but I don't plan on saying "Mine is bigger than yours" when I finish picking.

14. x25064

x25064 Well-Known Member

Tbh, I am not currently inpressed by any of the phones on verizons lineup. IMO the S2 is the best phone you can get right now, no contest. Yeah the screen isnt HD, but honestly i'd give that up for how solidly it performs.

15. Uzza

Uzza Member

The truth..is that this camera is part of the package. Deal with it. Research next time before buying.

jbdan likes this.
  16. x25064

x25064 Well-Known Member

All research pointed to this camera being decent according to reviews.

17. Spewy

Spewy Well-Known Member

I agree. Camera was very important to me and I reviewd many sample pics before getting the GN but I just cannot replicate that quality with mine. Close up shots are very good but anything else is garbage. This is the worst camera I have had on a phone in the last 2 years (I upgarde my phone about every 3-4 months so I have had a few!)
    Very disapointing, fortunatley during the winter months I take a lot less pics so hopefully i will have the latest and greatest new phone just before next spring!)

18. Stigy

Stigy Some say...

I'll take some more today of NYC to show that the camera isn't just good at close focus shots. Not sure why everyone is going SO crazy over it -- we knew it wasn't going to be as good as the 4S, but my pictures turn out just fine.

This was in my pitch black car last night:
    [​IMG]

19. nerdstaz

nerdstaz Well-Known Member

This and everyone else who claims the iPhone has a better camera isn't exactly right but they are partially correct. The Galaxy takes a better RAW photo. Less editing, generally preferred. The iPhone does a lot of processing after the photo is taken. Colors change, sharpness changes, etc. It's the photo processing software that is better, the camera is not as good as the Galaxy Nexus.

With that said, I have had 2 GN now. The first one got the boot loop bug -- I took a few pics with it. They were grainy. Since I exchanged it...they are much better now. I didn't change any settings at all. But if you guys trust autofocus and just snap, you are likely going to get 1 good photo out of 10.

I am disappointed in the whole moving objects thing...which was supposed to get better with IC. Still objects are perfectly acceptable IMO.

However, if you buy your phone for a camera to build the photo album with....your problem is with consumer execution and intelligence...not with your device.

20. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

This is such a lame response to a bad camera. It was a great response when phone's first started having cameras, but now there is no excuse.

I can use the same excuse for people saying they're having data loss. It's a phone first, if you want quality internet access use your computer.

21. Stigy

Stigy Some say...

Unedited from today -- just point and shoot.
    [​IMG]

Edited (in phone) from the other day.
    [​IMG]

alostpacket likes this.
  22. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Very nice.

23. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

No trying to claim a camera phone will take the same quality picture as a REAL camera is what lame :p

Face it the cameras they put in cell phones is a novelty item only.

24. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Android Enthusiast

I, for one, think it's decent.

It's fast and takes decent photos. I've been extremely happy with a ton of photos I've taken with my Gnex and disappointed with a few.

Whatever, it takes vastly superior photos than my OG Droid.

Sandroidfan likes this.
  25. fam

fam Android Enthusiast

plus video is a billion times better than my OG droid and my droid X.

Sandroidfan likes this.