1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Camera Tint? Blue?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by IzelTokatl, Jul 18, 2011.

1. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    a lifehacker
    Southern California
    Anyone else notice their stock camera taking more blueish photos in various lighting?

I primarily use Camera 360, and that seems to compensate for the blue stock camera tint?

But, I must say the stock camera app is quite nice.

Advertisement

2. Mayhem724

Mayhem724 Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2010
    Ive been playing around with it since last week and the pictures are horrible. My D1 took flawless pics. All mine have a blue tint to them. Send them to your computer and the resolution is nowhere near an 8mp pic.

3. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    I wouldn't say the pictures are awful. The blue tint I only see with the flash on.

Shurple likes this.
  4. corbinator

corbinator Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Metrologist
    da south
    As I mentioned in the First impressions thread, "I don't know if the Droid 3 has a selectable white balance, the D1 did. Usually if you set the white balance to fluorescent (little tube light bulb) it will add a blue hue to the photo to offset the whiteness of the light from the bulbs. Try setting the White balance to incandescent (little regular light bulb) and it should turn more orange.

Also having the flash on/off will affect the pic as sunlight/incandescent/fluorescent/LED all fluoresce at different wavelengths so the white/blue/red will be absorbed in the sensor differently. Try changing the WB and take the same photo to see a marked difference."

Try this as I don't have a D3 yet (waiting on root) to try myself.

5. Schreiber

Schreiber Member
    None

I still have not noticed a blue tint to any of my pictures. Not sure what is happening with everyones.

6. Bloater

Bloater Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2011
    Strong blue tint for SURE. Here's a picture from outside in Santa Barbara, CA on Saturday. Bright sunlight, no flash (of course):
    [​IMG]

7. sharkh20

sharkh20 Newbie
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    I don't really know that I would call that a strong blue tint. It actually looks a bit like an HDR image.

Edit, just noticed that my monitor gamma was way up (was playing counter-strike), that actually does look really dark.

8. mothbeast

mothbeast Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    I see what you all are talking about. That looks really blue to me and a bit dark.

9. The Real Deal

The Real Deal Lurker
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    I pretty much have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to this stuff but is the "tint" problem strictly a hardware thing? Like, could some sort of update fix the problem..?

10. mothbeast

mothbeast Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Or some camera app? I really wanted the Droid 3 but if the photos are actually worse than the D1 I'll have to reconsider.

11. sharkh20

sharkh20 Newbie
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    I would assume a software update could help out a bit with color balance. Really all they would need to do is add those options in the gallery or on the camera app itself. Just changing the some color balance and brightness/contrast on photoshop makes a large difference.

[​IMG]

Also, it would be nigh impossible to say that this camera takes worse pictures than the OG Droid. I have had that phone for the past 2 years (well, since it came out) and I just gave up trying to take a decent picture with it. Not saying that this camera is the best (it isn't) but it is definitely better than the D1.

12. aostang

aostang Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    The photos out of the camera definitely have a strong blue push, but they can be fixed. This is how that photo should have come straight out of the camera:

[​IMG]

13. Barbara

Barbara Android Expert
    None

Oct 31, 2009
    Nice!

aostang likes this.
  14. Schreiber

Schreiber Member
    None

I just took a picture with flash & DEFINITELY notice a blue tint.... Hopefully this is something that can be patched & not something stupid like the flash itself causing it.

15. beowulf7

beowulf7 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    Yeah, I took some outdoor pics w/ this phone over the weekend and was a bit disappointed in the quality, both in fuzziness and blue hue.

One of these days, I plan to take back-to-back pics w/ this phone and my old one (LG enV Touch) to compare them.

16. sharkh20

sharkh20 Newbie
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    So, I was fooling around with the picsay app and they have a temperature slider that can fix the blue problem even with the flash. It creates a new problem though as it will only save at a maximum resolution of 768x1024. Would like it if they would just update the normal camera app to have better white balance functions but this will have to do for now.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

17. mikepinto65

mikepinto65 Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011

Its called the Sky :p

18. slvreagl

slvreagl Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2011
    The blue hue or tint is REDICULOUS with the Droid 3, I have never had a cell phone camera as bad as this camera! The pics are terrible with or without the flash, and battery storage is squelched to zero when using the camera. I love my Droid 3 cell phone but DO NOT expect consistent quality pics from this phone, No matter what app you use. Don't believe me? Take a pic of a white piece of paper, then hold it up to the paper. Better yet then take a pic of the paper with a digital camera see the HUGE difference.

19. beowulf7

None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    Yeah, I know what you mean, although I didn't think it was that bad. Hopefully VZW/Moto will release a firmware update to fix this.

20. aostang

aostang Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    It sounds like the problem is in the camera firmware, which is likely not flashable from on the device. The only fix they might be able to do is modify the camera driver to correct the color balance before sending the camera data stream to the requesting app. It's also possible it's just a driver issue, in which case it's a driver fix anyway. Motorola communication with its customers has been SHIT the past couple years, so don't expect any word from them until the actual fix comes out.

21. beowulf7

None

Jul 10, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    TX
    2 phones ago, I also had a Motorola (Razr Maxx Ve). It also had a camera bug where auto-focus didn't work properly. A firmware update was eventually released and it fixed the auto-focus bug. So I think it should be fixable, but you're right, they probably won't communicate that to communicate it to us until after an update is available.

22. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Female
    Graphic Designer
    NJ
    i am so glad i read this forum before i got my phone.... i EXPECTED the blue photos... and yup that's what they are. Blue.

23. Amaroth

Amaroth Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Hilo, HI
    I have not really noticed any blue tint.. Been using vignette and the stock camera.. I'm gonna look at my pictures again to see if I notice anything

24. myersjesse

myersjesse Newbie
    None

May 9, 2010
    I just took a bunch of pictures with stock camera and 360 ultimate camera app. The 360 app took good pictures as long as it was set at 1600 x 1200 (2mp). When I set it to 3264 x 2448 (8mp) it has the same blue tint as the stock camera app.

25. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Female
    Graphic Designer
    NJ
    i am waiting for my phone to charge and once it's done i will play with the camera360 app... so this is interesting.... i wonder why!