• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera unable to start

fnbt

Lurker
Sep 22, 2018
Hello,

I've recently developed a weird problem with my UMi Rome X phone.

It looks like a joint problem to do with the camera, gallery and flashlight.

1. Everytime I try starting the camera, the camera app just hangs and I just have to wait for the msg asking me to report, wait or close the app. Sometimes it gives me the msg saying gallery is not responding. Sometimes the camera window opens, but there's no image - just the photo/video and settings Icon at the bottom, and no response from tapping any of them or the volume buttons.
    Apps which require camera say I should close any other apps that are currently using the camera.
    The only app that can fire up the camera is WhatsApp Business - from within a call, I can shift to video call and in some cases, the front camera will start:
    1. If I try to shift to rear camera, WhatsApp will just hang and after about 30 sec, the call will cut.
    2. If the opposite person asks for video call and I accept, it will just cut the call saying, "couldn't place call. pls try again"
    3. At times, Whatsapp too just gives the msg that I should close any app currently using the camera
  2. As for the flashlight, I can turn it on, but as soon as I do so, the flashlight icon disappears and to turn off the flashlight I have to reboot the phone.
  3. Under Settings >> Apps >> All
    is thereto be any reference to the camera?
    'cos I see no Camera listed. On the same note, doing a search I get Camera (PTP) and tapping on that doesn't do anything.
I've also factory rest the phone, but no luck.

At times I feel it may be a hardware problem, but seeing the whatsapp/flashlight behavior, gives me a feel that it maybe a software issue.

Update version: UMI ROME X.V3.06

Would really appreciate some help on this, pls.
So I'm all confused - not sure whether it's some firmware issue, or some app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-22-17-05-58.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-22-17-05-58.png
    31 KB · Views: 423
  • Screenshot_2018-09-22-18-05-58.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-22-18-05-58.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 112
Try Looking for your cameras apk in Apkmirror.com and see if you can reinstall it to your device.
The app is the one that came pre-installed with the phone - not sure how I can get the APK for the same.
But first go to your Settings> Camera> then clear the cache and possibly the data if necessary then restart your device and try using your camera then.:thinking:
Unfortunately I don't see any reference to the camera in either Settings or Settings >> Apps.
The icon for the camera is present in the list of apps

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-22-22-12-48.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-22-22-12-48.png
    792.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot_2018-09-22-19-28-34.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-22-19-28-34.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
The app is the one that came pre-installed with the phone - not sure how I can get the APK for the same. Unfortunately I don't see any reference to the camera in either Settings or Settings >> Apps.

Okay if you have a backup in your file manager, see if you can reinstall it from that backup APK .

Upvote 0
The app is the one that came pre-installed with the phone - not sure how I can get the APK for the same. Unfortunately I don't see any reference to the camera in either Settings or Settings >> Apps.
I think you have to choose to "show system" in the application list, not just the "installed" apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones