• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camera won't launch.

krikit

Jul 22, 2010
about.me
Has anyone had issues with the camera?

My wife and I both got the Awe during the $20 Target sale. Hers is activated and hasn't seen issues to speak of. Mine was not bought to be activated, just to be used on Wi-Fi.

Other than constantly trying to run activation on boot, this is the only issue I've had with mine: this error comes up whenever I try to use the camera. Has anyone else had this issue? I've tried taking the sd card out and rebooting, but still the camera won't launch.

Edit: It might be worth mentioning that my wife had no such trouble using her Awe's camera before activating the device.

Here's what I see whenever I try to open the camera:
asu2y6y4.jpg

Upvote 0
The only time I have ever gotten that error on a phone (and I don't think this will help you) is when I had one "flashlight app" lighting up the led as a torch and then tried to open the camera. I guess that only one app can access the camera at one time, and if the flashlight app had it, the actual camera app couldn't.

Is there something else running that might be blocking the camera app? Did you try other apps? Did you try downloading another camera app or upc code/shopping app that uses the camera? If you didn't. maybe you should try.

In the end, I guess it could be a hardware issue. You could ask for an exchange at target.

Reactions: krikit
Upvote 0
Is there something else running that might be blocking the camera app? Did you try other apps? Did you try downloading another camera app or upc code/shopping app that uses the camera? If you didn't. maybe you should try.

I did try a few other camera apps, with the same result. I could see how another app could be holding the camera captive, but didn't find out which app, if any was doing it.

I found a similar thread somewhere else in the issue. With that phone at least, it was an issue with the gallery seizing the camera permissions, but the instructions didn't seem to carry over to the Awe.

I had suspected the constant activation attempts by the phone threw something out of whack. I was reminded that using airplane mode would probably stop the activation, which it did. *smacks forehead*

Camera issue was still there though, so I finally did the factory reset. This worked great!... until it broke again. This time, I suspected similarly overactive data hunger from the podcast app Podax. (Want to) Love the app, but as soon as I entered my gpodder creds, the thing started trying to update every feed by default (too many), leaving me unable to adjust the settings fast enough, even after disabling Wi-Fi.

Another factory restore, and I'm back in business... and more gun-shy than I'd like to be on an android device.

My wife had a ZTE warp on Boost a year+ ago, which was the worst device we've ever owned - rooting/ROM'ing barely helped. ....So, with the current situation, I'm trying not to feel like ZTE is the special case in the Android world. :-\

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones