• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Looks pretty good to me! The camera is one of the most important aspects of this phone for me. The stills are nice if you take them up close with decent light, but the video just plain sucks. The video I've seen of the Captivate look great. They also look right on par with the international Galaxy camera, so it looks like they kept the same hardware which is nice.

Upvote 0
If you are bound to AT&T, maybe not so much. If not, the Incredible, EVO, Droid X all have 8 megapixel cameras with a flash just to name a couple off the top of my head.
They have 8 MP cameras yet they can't seem to actually take better pictures...... reason is that more megapixels doesn't mean better pictures.

I can buy a 10 megapixel Walmart camera and it won't take better pictures than a 6 megapixel Canon from a few years ago.

Upvote 0
They have 8 MP cameras yet they can't seem to actually take better pictures...... reason is that more megapixels doesn't mean better pictures.

I can buy a 10 megapixel Walmart camera and it won't take better pictures than a 6 megapixel Canon from a few years ago.

Exactly. I have a 6 megapixel Fujifilm that I bought 6 years ago and it still takes better shots than any point and shoot I've seen released lately. And better video than my Flip!

Upvote 0
The video in this thread is about my experience with the Captivate too. Video looks pretty darned good. Not as good as the good camcorders on the market today, but probably better than the one my Wife and I bought 3 years ago (which doesn't record in high def at all). Pictures looked pretty good as well. Certainly not high-quality, but it blows the doors off the 2 megapixel camera in my old phone and looks better than my Wife's Backflip pictures.

Reactions: pkulak
Upvote 0
If you are bound to AT&T, maybe not so much. If not, the Incredible, EVO, Droid X all have 8 megapixel cameras with a flash just to name a couple off the top of my head.

And not one of them takes a better picture than an iPhone 4. Disappointing, maybe, but I'm tired of the iPhone. I've wanted an Android for a while, and I'm going to have to sacrifice the camera on the iPhone 4 that I currently have for less on a Captivate, but if I have to, I have to.

The thing isn't how amazing of a picture it takes for professional photography, but anyone who likes photography and taking pictures, and has a camera on their phone, probably takes a bunch of pictures with their phone. It's not because it's the best camera they have, but you don't carry your DSLR or even your point and shoot around with you everywhere, you DO carry your phone everywhere. I looked in my photo library on my computer and about half the pictures I took are with my phone. With the iPhone 4 you can take a picture as good as many point and shoots, which is nice, but I think I'm going to have to look past that and give up camera quality for other features.

This is all part of why I want to go get my hands on one to make sure I'd be happy with the Captivate. But then, I'm a gadget nerd, I'll never be happy with what I have. :p

Reactions: Jofaba and pkulak
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
haha, I just got done ranting about mega-pixels. I don't want more pixels... I want a better camera. And flash ruins photos. I'd rather have an underexposed shot than one full of red-eye and people who look like freakish zombies. But, it is at least nice to have the option.

However, after all this complaining about the camera, this is really not bad at all for an indoor shot:

YouTube - Samsung Captivate 720p HD Video Sample: Indoors

Samsung seems to prefer to underexpose a bit rather than just hike up the gain and show bags of noise. I actually prefer that.

how do you upload to youtube in, hd?

Upvote 0
I'm very impressed with the camera so far, and I'm pretty hard to please. I haven't taken any serious shots worth sharing, but the video is fantastic, and the day shots are amazing. I haven't taken any night shots yet. I know we all wish it had flash but it doesn't so what are you going to do?

Upvote 0
i was testing the camera out the other day and it started lagging then finally just stopped recording. you can see the video skip a few times. it hasnt happened since. it couldve been because of a program i had running in the background since ive been installing apps like crazy.

YouTube - Samsung Captivate Outdoor Camera Test

Have you ever thought of getting a real dog one day? =P

Upvote 0
Some pictures I took recently

Garden! - a set on Flickr

my favorite of the garden shots, taken today:

4824986110_0824806a21_b.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones