1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Camera

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by keatingschick, Jan 11, 2012.

1. keatingschick

keatingschick Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    When I started this it gave me options of similar threads, which I read and it mentions FRONT and BACK camera????? I'm not aware there is anything like that on this phone, so sorry if I ask something that that may answer.

When taking pictures no matter what settings I change to INDOOR/PARTY/NIGHT-TIME the pictures are always very dark and there is never a flash, I've gone through all the options and can't find anything. Is there any option I am missing or does this camera generally take crap indoor/night pictures? I can't remember getting any info with the phone so just wondered if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers:)

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Here's the PDF user manual for that device, keatingsckick:

Samsung Galaxy S Manual / User Guide :)

3. keatingschick

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Thanks for that but to be honest it doesn't help. I've done all the things it suggests you do before taking pictures. Ive gone through each setting wondering if it might help but I wonder if anyone was able to suggest a specific way to add flash. Manual doesnt really help. But thanks for your help.

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

What a shame the manual for the device can't help.

Let's try this:

Samsung Galaxy S Camera Feature walk through

5. keatingschick

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Sorry hope it didn't sound ungrateful. I suppose it's hard when things don't mean anything, like I've no idea what ISO means. So when the camera needs flash, I don't know what to adjust so all I did was put things on what seemed to be the best setting or AUTO. Looking at that walk through it could be the ISO, so I'll have to try and take a picture on a higher ISO and see if it helps. It's just like at Xmas went out with the girls for our Xmas do, and the photos were awful. I've sort of adjusted them slightly since on laptop, but they weren't clear at all and very dark.
    Will have a try with this thankyou

Frisco likes this.
  6. DocTee

DocTee Newbie
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    California
    Don't want to sound rude, but does your Galaxy S have a flash?

For example, my Galaxy S GT-I9000 International version does NOT have a flash built in to my phone.

Frisco likes this.
  7. keatingschick

None

Aug 21, 2010

Thats the thing - I don't know???? Reading these manuals all I can do is mess around with the settings and see if adjusting them helps with the picture. I was hoping for someone who might be able to say "oh you need to do XYZ and the flash will come on"

8. DocTee

DocTee Newbie
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    California
    If the back of your SGS looks like this picture, then you do not have a flash built in.

Click on the thumbnail image to enlarge the picture.

Attached Files:

Frisco likes this.
  9. keatingschick

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Thankyou. It looks like it doesnt have a flash :mad:. Hence the lousy pictures.

Frisco likes this.
  10. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    ISO is the equivalent of the old film speed. The higher the number, the more light it could accrue, so if you wanted to shoot something like a comet at night, you use a higher ISO. Slower ISO will give you less grain.

The camera does have a night mode. Try using that. Also, don't zoom. Any zoom on any phone is digital, and digital zoom can lead to problems. Get closer to your subject.
    Brace your phone well when the situation is less than optimal. Lean your arms on something if you can. The night mode will not be as sharp in some instances. It will look ok on the camera, but lousy on the computer.

The one thing you can't really fix is blur from camera shake. The camera does have anti-shake in settings, won't hurt to try.

11. DocTee

DocTee Newbie
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    California
    I was disappointed when I found out my model doesn't have a flash either.

At least you got that out of the way.

12. DocTee

DocTee Newbie
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    California
    As zuben mentioned, do not use the digital zoom, especially at night. That zoom is a joke and worthless when you view pics on the computer.

And do be as steady as possible without any shaking when taking the pic. Use your arms as a bi-pod on a table, ledge, wall, etc when taking a pic. Any shake or movement during the capture of the image will result in a blurred pic at night.

Good luck.

13. ÅÄÖ

ÅÄÖ Lurker
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    #1) The Galaxy S has a lousy camera

#2) Use a setting with ISO value no higher than 200

#3) STEP CLOSER ! ( that's photographying rule One ! )

#4) Turn on as MUCH LIGHT as possible

#5) Keep the phone ABSOLUTELY still - like a Sharpshooter ! - when touching the virtual button

Then you'll get pics that the FIVE YEAR OLD Sony-Ericsson K800i will absolutely insult !
    ( And yes, the K800i has got a FLASH - not just some silly LED they *call* flash :
    the K800i has a True Xenon flash. And a Real physical trigger button, to lessen camera shake )

[ I'm a photographer , and have both the SGS and the K800i ]

14. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm a (hobby) photographer. Canon 20D DSLR, Canon SX30 IS, Panasonic FZ8 and various cell phones.

I agree the Galaxy's camera isn't the best. Probably the lens. Had a 5MP Nokia that was far sharper.

The DSLR and the Samsung will take pics in low light. The DSLR since I can change all settings and/or use the flash. The phone will, too except there is excess noise at the higher ISO. The SX 30 has trouble focusing. The Fz8 will also work.

If you are serious about shooting anything with a cell phone -
    here's a tool:
    Tripod Adapter for iPhone / Cell Phone / HTC / Android Phones

Since the phones are so light, a real inexpensive tripod should do.

15. keatingschick

None

Aug 21, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. To be honest I've had some fantastic pics on the phone camera, probably because mainly viewed on laptop and can zoom in. But it's just recently I noticed that indoor/night-time pictures are lousy. I went on my Xmas do and had a lovely pic of all the girls but the pictures were all dark, nothing I could do would change it. I have had indoor pictures that have turned out well so I just couldnt suss what was wrong. I need a camera, and also to take a little more notice of the camera the next time I upgrade my phone.

Thanks again.