• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camping and Droid

jackburnt

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2009
Auburn, AL
I'm going camping tomorrow and think the Droid will be the perfect accessory.

Apps to use:
Google Maps (plus My Tracks for bike rides/hiking))
Star Map thing (where you hold it up and shows you constellations)
Flashlight (for seeing in dark, natch)
Weather
Google Goggles (WTF is that? Let me look it up)
Wikipedia

Any other suggestions that would go well for camping? I have a little car jumper thing to charge it after a day of use.

Just hope the weather holds out. Going to Pine Mountain, GA.

I hope you get 3G reception where you are going.

MapDroyd - Android app on AppBrain will work as a map with GPS that doesn't need a data connection. The maps are incredibly simple compared to Google Maps and you have to download them beforehand, but they are there for if you don't have a data connection. I plan to use it in Europe.

Reactions: elvis_marmaduke
Upvote 0
We camped two weeks ago (smaller music fest) and Verizon was the only carrier that got signal there. Hoo-boy there were a lot of pissy iPhone owners standing around! I got 3G and great reception, and was dorking around looking stuff up all weekend.

Battery life was a killer, though. I brought a spare battery and also recharged halfway through the long weekend.

Most used apps were the browser, using the camera, and uploading photos immediately to Picasa (through the Gallery) to share with those who couldn't make it. We also used Shazam once on a song (live) that we couldn't remember the name to, and it worked. Awesome.

Upvote 0
You might want to check coverage before "needing" to use your phone.

Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless

I've been to pine mountain several times, never with my droid, but with other 3g smartphones. You have plenty of coverage in the metropolis that is downtown pine mountain, but when you turn off the paved road and head towards the cabins that are up in the hills, reception gets pretty spotty.

Good luck! Let us know how you faired.

Reactions: elvis_marmaduke
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
MyTracks is a google app. If you take a hike, it will use GPS to track the distance and path of your hike.
Like a virtual bread crumb trail.
Try it before you go.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already use My Tracks (mentioned in first post).

I love it for my bike rides. Should be great for hiking (if I get a signal).

So, if it uses GPS do you still need 3g signal? Or is it not like a real GPS?

Upvote 0
A camping trip is the perfect time to become acquainted with c:geo or geobeagle for some geocaching fun. Be sure to create an account at geocaching.com before heading out which will also allow you to become familiar with the activity if you haven't done it before. I believe one of the two apps also allows you to download cache info ahead of time in the event that your campsite does not have 3G access. Have fun!

Upvote 0
So, if it uses GPS do you still need 3g signal? Or is it not like a real GPS?

Technically, you do not need the GPS, but the reference mapping through Google needs the 3G signal to bring in the information. Mapdroyd (mentioned above) lets you download base maps so you do not need the reception for the reference. While it is not as detailed as Google Maps, it is a good alternative to have when signal is an issue.

I think OruxMaps also does the same, but you have to create your own maps to use. I have only messed around with it on the surface. It is fairly labor intensive, but at least you can have the detail you are looking for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones