1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can a Bada phone be upgraded to Android?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wildetudor, Apr 13, 2011.

1. wildetudor

wildetudor Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    Hi everyone

I am doing some research over what my next mobile phone is going to be, and I have my eye on a few Samsung models, most of which come with the Bada OS pre-installed. Is it possible to change the OS on such a phone from Bada to Android, without getting one's hands too dirty, i.e. using all sorts of arcane hacks etc?

Thanks for any informed replies!

Advertisement

Krishnakant C likes this.
  2. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    No not at all.

Besides, there is no cost benefit to that, since the Bada phones are priced about the same level as Samsung Android phones because mainly, both lines are "twinning".

The one Wave phone I like is the Wave S8500, which is like a Galaxy S but metal in construction with a much smaller size, but still retaining the 800x480 resolution on a small 3.3" screen. That creates an amazing resolution that is more brilliant than the Galaxy S itself. Heck, it puts the iPhone 4 to shame. There is some arcane attempts to put Android on the Wave S8500, but its that, arcane.

Otherwise enjoy the Bada OS as it is (its really much nicer than WP7 --- yeah shocking). I don't mean visually nice, its still Touchwiz like on Galaxy S, but for a 1.0 OS release, it had a much more features than WP7 like real multitasking, Android like notifications, cut and paste and a real HTML5 Webkit browser. It has Flash but its only at 9.1. Everything about Bada is very fast, very smooth, like the OS has a light footprint and is accelerated in every corner. It was probably meant to run on featurephone level hardware requirements and the Hummingbird is just plain overkill, which leave it flying.

If you're developing, its nice too. It has real Java and uses HTML5. Those are the things a modern mobile OS should have for development.

wildetudor likes this.
  3. wildetudor

wildetudor Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    Hey, thanks for your reply - which surprises me: I would have thought that, since the Android OS is free software, you can install it on any smart phone, regardless of what OS that phone came with, just like you install e.g. Linux on any computer

My main reasons to want Android instead of Bada OS were the GPS software (not too keen on Samsung's, and I know Google Maps is native to the Android OS) and the much wider choice of freeware software that comes with a more "established" OS.