1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can a battery charge TOO slowly?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by blastoff99, Mar 25, 2015.

1. blastoff99

blastoff99 Member

Hello all. Recent refugee from a Galaxy S3 here, and new slave to a Droid Turbo.

So far so good, almost... took me two days to figure out how to answer the dang phone but I think I have that solved. I need to dig in to some stuff, but I have a very basic question meanwhile:

Can a battery charge TOO slowly? My Turbo is in an Otterbox Defender case, and due to the charging port flap looking a tad like it might not want to be flexed every night or every other night for maximum longevity, I invested in an inexpensive Qi charger. It does charge right away, and keeps charging, but very slowly, about 10% per hour. This is not a thing because I can leave it overnight, but I wonder if it's bad for it.

My guess is that it is NOT, and here's why: I have a friend who has a gas / plug-in electric hybrid car, and when he looked into getting the 240V home charger, the consensus was "Don't do it - if your battery pack will charge overnight at 120V, stay with that because charging a battery rapidly will decrease the life of the battery." I can't remember if it would decrease the number of cycles available or the amount of charge it would take, but apparently it was a Thing.

So: slow = good, or at least not bad?

Thanks in advance.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by doogald, Mar 25, 2015 (3 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

That's the way most people think, but this phone was engineered to be quick charged. Qi charging is fine, though it does tend to heat the phone a bit more than plugging in.

I have a Droid Maxx. I've had it 19 months and I use wireless charging almost every night. My battery life remains fine.

You'll be fine.

Navid221, Mikestony and blastoff99 like this.
  4. Kevin-B

Kevin-B Well-Known Member

I second Doogald's reply. Charged my (dearly departed) Maxx on a Qi wireless charger for nearly 2 years; kept running strong.

alias2002 likes this.
  5. alias2002

alias2002 Newbie

Proper use may drag the long time.

6. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Um, what? Can you rephrase that please?

EarlyMon likes this.

Motorola Droid Turbo Forum

The Motorola Droid Turbo release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 21MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3900mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews