1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can a Japansee EVO work in America?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FadeLore, Aug 15, 2012.

1. FadeLore

FadeLore Lurker

After studying in Japan for a year, I'm returning to America. It made sense to get an EVO in Japan, even if I have to give it up now.

But I am wondering, is there a way I can make it work in America, or should I find a place to sell it before I leave Japan? I want to get an American provider, and use the same phone if possible. Or is there a hardware barrier to this?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Welcome to AF!!!
    I dont think it will work but, a good guy to talk to is Robobob, a member here. Perhaps he will see this or you can p.m. him. He's from Japan.:)

Edit: I see you are offline atm but I p.m.'ed him for ya to take a look at your post.

Robobob1221 and ocnbrze like this.
  3. Robobob1221

Robobob1221 Android Enthusiast

Hello!
    AFAIK, there shouldn't be any h/w barrier to using the phone in the US, it should only be software related. As its a CDMA phone it is registered to KDDI au, so I'm not sure how you would flash it to Sprint/Boost or whichever carrier. Perhaps flashing an RUU with all the .img might work. Sorry I can't be of more help :(

ocnbrze, tube517 and Mikestony like this.
  4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Thanks Robo,
    You are now my Japanese contact/friend from across the ocean!
    You'll probably hit ocnbrze first then me if you throw a rock at us seeing as tho ocn is in California I believe. lol

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

yep LA baby.

you i believe that if you just take the phone in to a sprint store, they should be able to activate the phone for you.

Mikestony likes this.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Radio frequencies for cell phones aren't the same from country to country. They try to overlap as best as they can but if some reason the bands don't overlap I don't think it'll work.

Cell phones are made to operate within that certain range.

Anyway I'm not sure, so let us know how it goe

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. Robobob1221

Is Sprint in the 800Mhz range? If so I think it will be compatible, as that is what KDDI au operates in. If so I'm assuming that's why a lot of the overseas phones used by au mirror those of sprint (Evo4G/3D, Photon, E4GT..)

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. FadeLore

FadeLore Lurker

ok.. Thanks for the replies, and attempt to solve. I'm quite new to the harware involved. Is this something that changing a SIM card would solve (assuming my phone has one that can be changed).

9. Robobob1221

You can't switch out the sim as it's a cdma phone so it's built into the hardware.

10. Robobob1221

Fadelore,
    Dunno if you still checking up on this but I sent you a pm, if you decide to sell it before leaving. That is if you haven't left already!:screwy:

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews