• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can an LG Stylo 3 be just a pda ?

tylis

Lurker
Oct 3, 2020
I have seen an acquaintance using the LG Stylo 3 and really like the way it looks and the stylus capability. It is just the right size for my hand and I plan to purchase one used. I'm not very keen on using it for a phone, but would love to use it as a pda, and maybe in the future activate it with tracfone. My question is, can this be used as just a pda with wifi without any sim card ? Can apps be side-loaded ? And, can a phone presently locked/unlocked from another carrier be eventually used with tracfone ? Thanks in advance.

1. Yes, Android phones can be used on WiFi without a SIM.

2. Yes you can side load apps. To install an APK not from Google Play first enable installing from Unknown Sources. Up until Android 7 Nougat (which the Stylo 3 came with) the option to install from Unknown Sources was located in Settings - Security - Unknown Sources.

3. Maybe. The phone would need to be unlocked by the original carrier, and would have to be compatible with Tracfone.

Reactions: MrJavi and tylis
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for you reply kate. I will purchase the lg stylo 3 for sure, now that I know it does not HAVE to be a phone. I own a huawei tablet which is great inside, but it is way too large to tote around when going outside. I keep notes on my garden as well as on my plant collection and it will be great to leave the pen and pencil behind.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
A bit of feedback for @kate who so graciously helped me. I did buy the LG Stylo 3 and "she" has become my go anywhere companion, with picture and note taking, as well as music out in the garden. This tablet is small enough to fit into pockets and with protectors on the front and the back, it copes well with the occasional dirty fingers. I just installed a reader and an anthology book, so that I will have something to read next time I have to wait in magazine-less waiting rooms. It is just the right size too, smaller and handier than my tablet, but much roomier than my old Palm TX and Zire.

Reactions: kate
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones