• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can an unlocked HTC works with 3G providers from overseas?

Hi tumayimbe, and welcome to AF :)

What country are you in, and where do you wish to buy it from?

The answer depends on technology and frequency band, which do vary by network and country. Internationally the Desire C has UMTS in the 900 and 2100 bands, so would be fine in most of the world, as UMTS 2100 is the most widespread 3G globally. It would however give you no 3G in North America, if that matters to you. There is also a CDMA variant in North America, but I've no idea what its compatibility is.

The important thing is to check the specs of the phone against the frequencies and technologies used by the networks you want to use it on (or in the regions you wish to use it).

Upvote 0
Hi tumayimbe, and welcome to AF :)

What country are you in, and where do you wish to buy it from?

The answer depends on technology and frequency band, which do vary by network and country. Internationally the Desire C has UMTS in the 900 and 2100 bands, so would be fine in most of the world, as UMTS 2100 is the most widespread 3G globally. It would however give you no 3G in North America, if that matters to you. There is also a CDMA variant in North America, but I've no idea what its compatibility is.

The important thing is to check the specs of the phone against the frequencies and technologies used by the networks you want to use it on (or in the regions you wish to use it).
Thanks for the Welcome ;-)

I'm from Canada and I already bought the phone here in Canada.
Here a spics form the seller who I bought the phone:
"NETWORK

HSDPA/WCDMA:2

• Europe/Asia: 900/2100 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

• 850/900/1800/1900 MHz"
They ship to the UK too so I think it will work in the Caribean (the place where I want the phone to work) because it the same frequencies that North America.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's standard European specs.

You'll be fine for 2G, as it covers all 4 GSM bands. The Caribbean countries that have 3G (not all do) seem mostly to have 2100, but there are a few exceptions (e.g. the Bahamas, which if this site is reliable only has UMTS 850, which that phone won't work with).
I'm confused, why it will work on 2G and not 3G?
I want the phone to work with Orange dominicana (Dominican.Republic).
Their frequenciesare GSM/EDGE 900 MHz / 1800 MHz / 1900 MHz and their 3G are on 900 MHz

The phone specification I wrote you said that the phone work on HSDPA/WCDMA:900/2100 MHz and GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz so why are you saying that it will no work on 850 MHZ frequency?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
If their 3G is on 900 you'll be ok.

GSM (2g) and UMTS/WCDMA (3g) are technically very different. So that phone can use 2G in the 850, 900, 1800 or 1900 bands, but 3G only in the 900 and 2100 bands. It won't be able to register on an 850 MHz 3G network because its 3G transceiver doesn't support that band, and its 2G transceiver only works on 2G networks.

Reactions: tumayimbe
Upvote 0
If their 3G is on 900 you'll be ok.

GSM (2g) and UMTS/WCDMA (3g) are technically very different. So that phone can use 2G in the 850, 900, 1800 or 1900 bands, but 3G only in the 900 and 2100 bands. It won't be able to register on an 850 MHz 3G network because its 3G transceiver doesn't support that band, and its 2G transceiver only works on 2G networks.
Thanks I understand now.

I think there an error on the specs of this phone because It's should work fine on 3G with Fido provider that use 850 band.

I will contact the seller to be sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones