1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root can any problems occur if you dont put rom and kernel in root of sd card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rbby228, Feb 14, 2011.

1. rbby228

rbby228 Member

can any issues happen if you put roms or a kernel in a folder instead of the root of the sd card when you flash them?

Advertisement

2. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

You won't be able to flash them. You can't get into a folder from recovery so you won't be able to find them to flash them.

3. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

No, you can do that if you want. The only reason most people don't is because it's kind of a pain to browse for it in recovery. If you use RA 1.90 (don't know why you would be), you can't do that. Any version of RA above that, and any version of Clockwork has a built in file browser, so you can do that if you want. Just remember, like I said, it's kind of a pain. Usually, I put stuff I want to flash on the root of the card, then move it later. If I need to flash it again later, for some reason, then I'll browse for it, but as that's not the norm, it's not that annoying. Having to browse every time I want to flash something is just annoying. That's my opinion :). You're free to flash files kept where ever you want.

4. An UrgeTo Dance

Oh thanks for correcting me Akaza I just thought you couldn't flash stuff that wasn't on the root and thats why everyone always said to put it on the root. I guess I should make sure before telling someone something :)

5. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

No worries :). I'd still recommend people do it. It makes flashing things a lot easier. Navigating with the volume buttons and power button is a pain.

6. An UrgeTo Dance

Yes it is and I think my up volume button is starting to break so I am probably going to have to unroot and bring my phone in or just use the down volume only lol.

7. Hunterbeav

Hunterbeav Android Enthusiast

Mine too and my phone is only 2 mths old lol

8. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

With great 4G service, I usually download roms, kernels... directly to the phone. They will always be in the downloads folder on my sd card, easy to navigate to and I always know where the zip is

9. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Yeah, my volume and power buttons are definitely not what they used to be. My wife got an Evo about a month ago, and forgot how much easier those buttons used to be to press, lol.

Yeah, that's a good method too. I think everyone kind of has their own method of flashing and storing ROMs. There's no "right" way to do it. Just do whatever is easiest for you.