1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General can anyone make a case for either 16gb or 32gb?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lock-N-Load, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    won the lottery
    WestSiiiide
    Anyone have any good logical arguments either way? I tend to like to go with more on board storage so as to minimize any bottle-neck with data transfer as the chip is right there on mother board, and giving the unit "room to breath" for lack of a better explanation. I always kind of considered more onboard memory is better for speed, access, room to move, etc.

so, anyone have a good logical argument for either?

Advertisement

2. LunchBB

LunchBB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    16GB is plenty. With the functioning MicroSD card slot, you can always add one.

But now it's not there're 16gb or 32gb for you to choose from. I only see 16GB available.

3. Lock-N-Load

None

Feb 8, 2010
    won the lottery
    WestSiiiide
    yeah, I know I can add..

but if we can just add one what is the point of them making a 32gb version when you can get a 32gb micro SD card cheaper than the price difference of the 16gb. there must be some performance benefit to having the 32b on the mother board, agreed?

4. Gunner

Gunner Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Yes, there would certainly be a performance difference between the solid state memory and the sd card. The sd card has to get routed through an additional interface/controller. And the read/write speed of the internal memory would probably be an order of magnitude greater than sd flash memory (just guessing; not a CE engineer). That being said, I'm not sure that you would notice the difference that much in everyday use, unless you're just constantly transferring huge files back and forth between the Asus and a PC or other device.

Personally, I'd go for the 16GB Trans and add the 32GB microSD for less than the cost of the 32GB Trans alone. Use the $ you save towards the KB dock.

LunchBB likes this.
  5. jcpharm

jcpharm Newbie
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Bergen County, NJ
    i agree with getting 16GB and adding 32GB microSD (or if you have a keyboard dock with full SDHC support, you could go even cheaper - but who wants to lug their keyboard around everywhere?). believe it or not, 16GB is plenty for apps and a decent amount of music and perhaps 1 hi-def movie. adding other movies and music to the 32GB card will be good. you can get a class 10 32GB microSD for ~$80-90 off amazon right now - less than the $100 difference for only 16GB of internal flash memory. then again, if you have money to burn, why not get the 32GB Tablet?

6. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    If you want one before July, you should pick the first available. If you get the 16gb, you save $100 and if you get the 32gb, you have 16gb more fast flash memory :)

7. Lock-N-Load

None

Feb 8, 2010
    won the lottery
    WestSiiiide
  8. TexasBadger

TexasBadger Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Dallas Area
    After considering all of the compelling reasons for 32 GB, and all of the compelling reasons for 16 GB, I finally came upon the most compelling reason of all. A 32 GB tablet was the only TF101 that I could find. So I bought it! Then I bought a 32 GB microSD card to go with it. I am still looking for the keyboard dock.

9. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Android Expert
    None

For me, this is replacing my travel laptop. I use sugarsync, and I like the idea of having as much of my "My Documents" folder at home synced to my laptop. This does not include music and videos, but my work folders, which is what I really care about, has a lot of media on it. So the more I can keep synced, the happier I am, and the less I have to worry about throwing on a card which I can then keep purely as plug and play and not effect the daily things I do on the tablet. Besides, sugarsync only syncs to its "My SugarSync Folders" so that has to be in one location.

I have the 16gb now, but I'd easily sell it if Best Buy or Amazon have the 32gb in stock when I could actually buy it in time.