• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can ATT Detect WIFI Tethering on SG S2

Dasin

Nov 21, 2009
Can ATT detect tethering on the Samsung Galaxy S2, iam tired of the iPhone and iam ready to go back to Android.

I plan on getting the Galaxy S2, i just want to know what is the best tethering app for the device, and what are the best Android apps for the Galaxy S2

Can ATT detect tethering on the Samsung Galaxy S2, iam tired of the iPhone and iam ready to go back to Android.

I plan on getting the Galaxy S2, i just want to know what is the best tethering app for the device, and what are the best Android apps for the Galaxy S2

App?!?? Who needs app?!?? The SG2 is able to tether in both WiFi (Hotspot) and USB (wired) right from the STOCK menu... No apps needed...

If you wish to try your hand at tethering without paying the AT&T $20/month TOLL/TAX, you'll need to *ROOT* your unit and remove the Tetheringmanager.apk... This little *GEM* is installed by AT&T to detect if unit is used for tethering... If this software detects tethering it phones home to AT&T and rats you out...

Even with out the monitor agent disabled/removed, etc... AT&T concontine to monitor for tethering by sniffing the packaets of network

Reactions: markbc
Upvote 0
App?!?? Who needs app?!?? The SG2 is able to tether in both WiFi (Hotspot) and USB (wired) right from the STOCK menu... No apps needed...

If you wish to try your hand at tethering without paying the AT&T $20/month TOLL/TAX, you'll need to *ROOT* your unit and remove the Tetheringmanager.apk... This little *GEM* is installed by AT&T to detect if unit is used for tethering... If this software detects tethering it phones home to AT&T and rats you out...

Even with out the monitor agent disabled/removed, etc... AT&T concontine to monitor for tethering by sniffing the packaets of network

I hear you on that but let me ask u this.

I have heard alot about Android, that it is easy for ATT to detect iPhone tethering, because its built into the IOS. But with Android it does not use the certain APN that makes ATT detect tethering, that with android phones it is different.

Also i hear that (which none has layed it out on how to modify) which is the TTL settings, it was said that if u modify the settings (laptop or ipad) to the same settings as your Android or iPhone, ATT would not be able to tell if your tethering or not because, it will look like the data is comming from the iPhone not the computer or the iPad, is this true.

Because i have read somewhere, someone modified the TTL on there laptop and iPad, and they used PDAnet level 2 and ATT has not sent them anything. WIth these modifications.

Upvote 0
I hear you on that but let me ask u this.

I have heard alot about Android, that it is easy for ATT to detect iPhone tethering, because its built into the IOS. But with Android it does not use the certain APN that makes ATT detect tethering, that with android phones it is different.

Also i hear that (which none has layed it out on how to modify) which is the TTL settings, it was said that if u modify the settings (laptop or ipad) to the same settings as your Android or iPhone, ATT would not be able to tell if your tethering or not because, it will look like the data is comming from the iPhone not the computer or the iPad, is this true.

Because i have read somewhere, someone modified the TTL on there laptop and iPad, and they used PDAnet level 2 and ATT has not sent them anything. WIth these modifications.

Hi Dasin,

While the IOS has the Tethering monitor built-in and Android doesn't be default, AT&T *BAKES* their own tethering monitor into the unit before you break open that nice ORANGE/WHITE retail box for the SG2. Android phones in general were made to be customized so that its extremely easy to *ROOT* it, in essence the same a jailbreaking for the iphone. In our case for the SG2 I *believe* it's as simple as powering on the phone while pressing one or two addtional buttons (as you can already surmise, NO, I haven't done this, YET)

Once rooted just delete the tethering APK and that's all. So yes essentially it is EASIER to allow tethering (wifi Hotspot or USB tethering) on Android as this function is built into the OS at least as far as Gingerbread 2.3.4.

As for some of the other issues you've mentioned, I'm *CERTAINLY* not qualified to answer them but hopefully some KIND soul with more experience will be able to help you out...

Personally I'm not ready to *ROOT* my phone just yet because the STOCK SG2 is so AWESOME out of the box, I really haven't felt the need to ROOT my unit yet... but I digress... :)

Upvote 0
Crap. Now I see this. I am new to AT&T (but not to android/rooting/wifi tethering) and had no idea I needed to remove that apk. Will a one time use be seen, or is it more like frequent use?

I needed to upload my work from my tablet today as soon as it was finished, and no McDonalds or hotels around, so I had to wifi tether. It was only for a few minutes just the one time.

Upvote 0
When I bought my SII, I asked about tethering. My contract is so old, there isn't anything about limiting tethering. The ATT guy said, if you can figure out how to tether without rooting, there isn't anything ATT can do. PDAnet (which I used on my Palm Treo 680) allows tethering without Routing.
Of course when I used to go the highway at 70mph in Nebraska with my Treo tethered to my lap top, there also wasn't a law against keyboarding while driving.

Upvote 0
I am a very light phone user. I have a voice plan from the 90's (250 minutes for $30/mo, prior to rollover and texting), and I usually use about 40 minutes... I have texting disabled.

I did get the 2GB dataplan with my Galaxy S2, though I only use about 20MB per month.

I like to know the policies even if I plan to go against them. So since I am interested in using PDANet for occasional use (probably no more than 10MB in a month), and I have seen many opinions over what ATT's policy is, I went to ATT to review the policy.

Yes, the policy states that you can not teather without their package, it also indicates that you can not stream video. At the end of the day, the end of the policy states that the purpose of the policy is to prevent negative impacts to their network. Based on this and my call to ATT to confirm, it seems that as long as you are planning to use it conservativly, it should not be an issue. I think the biggest issue is with those with the unlimited accounts, that are trying to use it as unlimited for multiple devices. My interpretation which the ATT guy at the call center agreed with is that it is fine as long as it is an ATT store app (which PDANet is), you are not rooting your phone (which PDANet does not require), and you use don't use it excessivly. So, if you use it to snag a pdf you forgot from work before a presentation, it doesn't seem to be a problem, but if you use it to go stream a movie from netflix, you may be getting an unrequested service change from ATT.

This is only my observation of the contract. I still would say to use at your own risk.

Upvote 0
FoxFi is a thethering app for android & AT&T cannot detect it with the plugin-in installed & best of all... NO ROOTING REQUIRED. I've been using it for months & it's easy, quick, & undetectable. go to FoxFi - Turn Android into free WiFi Hotspot (no root) & for AT&T instructions FoxFi Installer FYI: there is no unlimited data plan with AT&T if you're using a smartphone unless you're grandfathered in from the old, OLD unlimited data plan that isn't available anymore unless you were already on it before they did away with it.

Upvote 0
FoxFi is a thethering app for android & AT&T cannot detect it with the plugin-in installed & best of all... NO ROOTING REQUIRED. I've been using it for months & it's easy, quick, & undetectable. go to FoxFi - Turn Android into free WiFi Hotspot (no root) & for AT&T instructions FoxFi Installer FYI: there is no unlimited data plan with AT&T if you're using a smartphone unless you're grandfathered in from the old, OLD unlimited data plan that isn't available anymore unless you were already on it before they did away with it.

I wouldn't go so far to say that they "can't" detect tethering with FoxFi. The information coming across the network nodes is very granular and I'm sure they could detect your shoe size given the right amount of personnel and resources. More likely is they have data use threshold alerts set to notify them of data use patterns from specific user agents. For the casual tether, they will ignore it. For the repeat abuser, you'll get the plan added.

I am one of those old farts legacy subscribers with an unlimited data plan. The irony is my mobile use rarely goes over 100 MB/month.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones