1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can bluetooth devices be set to "phone calls only" on Android? Other thoughts?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by JMG32, Jun 22, 2016.

1. JMG32

JMG32 Lurker
    None

Jun 22, 2016
    Male
    Hi all. Possible Android noob here. My contract is up in a couple weeks and I'm considering making the jump from iOS to Android...Galaxy S7.

My biggest question at this point is whether Android devices like the Galaxy S7 allow you to manage the audio output to your Bluetooth devices. I use a Bluetooth headset while driving and don't want my maps or other audio streaming to it. With my iPhone I can set it up so that map audio and such goes straight through the phone, but the moment I take a call, all audio then comes through the headset...so then I'm trying to talk to someone while maps is talking at the same in the headset giving me directions. Even if I go into Google Maps and set it not to play over Bluetooth, it will once I take a phone call while maps is working.

I'd like the option to set my Bluetooth headset audio to phone calls only.

Aside from that, I'd be glad to hear any other advantages of Android over iOS.

TIA!

Advertisement

2. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Yes, in the Bluetooth profile for each device there are checkboxes for each protocol that it supports. If it can do both phone calls and media streaming there will be a box for each of those so just check only the one you want and leave the other one unchecked.
    In one of my vehicles I have BT split between two devices this way, one does phone and the other does media. Works fine with the S5.

psionandy likes this.
  3. JMG32

JMG32 Lurker
    None

Jun 22, 2016
    Male
    Sweet...thanks!

4. JMG32

JMG32 Lurker
    None

Jun 22, 2016
    Male
    So I went into a Verizon to try out the S7 with my Bluetooth. When I connected my Bluetooth, it only showed an option for call audio. There was no option for media streaming. To test it out I made a call to my current cell phone and then started google maps. Sadly, google maps audio came through my Bluetooth. I've attached a pic of the screen from the Bluetooth settings. Any fixes?

Attached Files:

5. JMG32

JMG32 Lurker
    None

Jun 22, 2016
    Male
    So I went into a Verizon to try out the S7 with my Bluetooth. When I connected my Bluetooth, it only showed an option for call audio. There was no option for media streaming. To test it out I made a call to my current cell phone and then started google maps. Sadly, google maps audio came through my Bluetooth. I've attached a pic of the screen from the Bluetooth settings. Any fixes?