• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can charging a phone too fast mess up the carging port?

Alexp08

Sep 12, 2010
Hello, i have a s7 edge. I bought a fast charger car charger phone my phone a few months back. It says qualcomm 2.0 on it. I used it for awhile but i noticed my phonenwould no longer fast charge (it would still charge at regular speed, just not fast charge). After failed diagnostic by Samsung and att i was sent out a replacment. I'm currently wondering if it could have been caused by the charger in my car changing it too fast. Thanks!

This is the charger i got from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016OBV4BM/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not likely, the charging rate is controlled by the on-board regulator in the phone.

I have an ANKER 26800 battery power pack, and it has a SUPER FAST charger feature in it. it has smarts in it that talk to the regulator in the phones, and wow wee, can it cut the charge time way down.... like about 20 minutes from dead to full!!

most of the time, I just let it hook up and go Automatic though.

I personally have never had a phone refuse to charge, the ports have gotten loose, but I am now of the opinion, it was not the ports, but the lousey cheap ass charging cords.... I bought a new heavy duty cord with a very heavy cloth outer binding on it, and it has solid gold plated prongs and thicker prongs. when it plugs into the phone, you know it will stay plugged in.

I have a spare, older cord, that is very small in diameter, and the plug will literally fall out of my Kindle if I pick it up and hold it vertical. I insert that new cord in the Kindle and you have to 'push' to get it in.

Upvote 0
Not likely, the charging rate is controlled by the on-board regulator in the phone.

I have an ANKER 26800 battery power pack, and it has a SUPER FAST charger feature in it. it has smarts in it that talk to the regulator in the phones, and wow wee, can it cut the charge time way down.... like about 20 minutes from dead to full!!

most of the time, I just let it hook up and go Automatic though.

I personally have never had a phone refuse to charge, the ports have gotten loose, but I am now of the opinion, it was not the ports, but the lousey cheap ass charging cords.... I bought a new heavy duty cord with a very heavy cloth outer binding on it, and it has solid gold plated prongs and thicker prongs. when it plugs into the phone, you know it will stay plugged in.

I have a spare, older cord, that is very small in diameter, and the plug will literally fall out of my Kindle if I pick it up and hold it vertical. I insert that new cord in the Kindle and you have to 'push' to get it in.
It didnt refuse to charge per se, it would charge at regular speed, just not fast charge.

Upvote 0
Curious about something.
Does the S7 Edge have a "Screen Saver" setting, where when charging, it displays pictures, or a clock etc?

The reason I ask is, with my LG G5 I enabled the Screen Saver setting. Afterwards, (and I didn't put 2+2 together) I noticed my device would NOT fast charge. After some time and investigation, I found that having the screen saver option enabled did not allow my device to fast charge, it only "normal" charged.

Upvote 0
Curious about something.
Does the S7 Edge have a "Screen Saver" setting, where when charging, it displays pictures, or a clock etc?

The reason I ask is, with my LG G5 I enabled the Screen Saver setting. Afterwards, (and I didn't put 2+2 together) I noticed my device would NOT fast charge. After some time and investigation, I found that having the screen saver option enabled did not allow my device to fast charge, it only "normal" charged.
It does, but ive never hard that enabled

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones