1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can copy some files ro sd card but not others

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hennisy420, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Hennisy420

Hennisy420 Lurker

So i download alot of movies mp4s on my phone and then transfer them to my sd card so i cam watch them on my tablet. Most of the time i have no problems. But sometimes one or more mp4 files wont transfer. When this happens usually if i change the file extension to mp3 or mpeg i can then move the file to the sd card and then change it back to mp4 and its good. But other times there are mp4s that no matter what i try they wont transfer move or copy to sd card. Why wont these files transfer and is there another way to get these files on to my sd card? And i dont have access to a laptop or computer.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #7 by Dannydet, Dec 26, 2019 (1 points)
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

if you do not have access to a pc or laptop, how are you downloading and transferring these files?

MrJavi likes this.
  4. Hennisy420

Hennisy420 Lurker

I have the mediabox app on my android phone that i download them from. Then i use the file manager to move them to sd card. Then put sd card in my tablet and i can watch them off the card or i can move them to my tablet and then watch them. Then after i watch em i delete and then redo. Saves alot of memory on my phone that way.

5. Billtunew

Billtunew Member

Maybe it's caused by the size of your files, some SD card may get problems with too big file size.

mikedt, ocnbrze and MrJavi like this.
  6. Hennisy420

Hennisy420 Lurker

Its a 32g card. I have transfered some pretty big files to it with no problem. Like right now i downloaded 3 mp4s all less then 2g each. 2 transfered but i cant get the third to transfer. I dont get any kind of error or anything. When i try to move it the transfering files blinks for a millasecond then vanishes like it did a supper speed transfer or something and then jumps to my sd card files screen, but the file doesnt move it stays on my phone. If i delete it and re download it then i can usually move it but i hate to have to do that cuz i have slow dl connection and takes awhile sometimes to dl. And this is one of those files that takes a while.

7. Hennisy420

Hennisy420 Lurker

It plays fine on my phone but my scréens so small compared to my tablet. That i would rather not watch it on my phone

8. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Install a different file manager from the play store, instead of the default file manager...
    Try solid explorer.....

mikedt and MrJavi like this.
  9. Hennisy420

Hennisy420 Lurker

Tryed it and it didnt work. Its over 5g so i think if is to big. Probably meed a exfat formated sd card witch i dont have and cant reformat my sd card without a pc. Ive been trying to find a way to reformat my sd card without pc or rooting my phone ( my phone cant be rooted yet its to new) but i cant fond one. If anyone knowa how i can do this iit would be so helpful.

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That file is definitely too big for FAT/FAT32 formatted storage.
    The maximum size file FAT/FAT32 can hold is 4GB (or 4,294,967,296 bytes to be precise). You'll need a computer to format the micro-SD as exFAT, unless there is a third-party Android app that can do it, I don't know. Although I bought a new Samsung 512GB micro-SD a couple of months ago, and that was already formatted exFAT, so I didn't have to do anything with it.

Also you'll have to check if your phone and tablet can use SDs formatted as exFAT
    . Some can and some can't, particularly older devices can't. My Huawei Mate 10 with Android 9 can use exFAT SDs, but other phones I've had didn't support exFAT.

Dannydet likes this.
  11. Hennisy420

Hennisy420 Lurker