• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can delete email off phone, but still downloads to computer.

MamaCashew

Lurker
Aug 5, 2011
Greetings everyone, first time poster, so please forgive me if this has been asked. I tried using the search function, but it brought me a ton of topics for different phones.

I am switching from a Blackberry Curve, to a Droid 3, and I seem to have run into an issue. On my BB, when I would delete an email I had the choice whether I want to just take it off my handheld or if I wanted to completely delete it.

Now with the Droid 3, I don't have that option, but I also am finding that when I delete something off my phone, it still shows up in my email on my computer. Is there a setting I am missing that allows me to delete it not only off my phone, but also off the server?

Which email app and/or service are you using?

I use gmail, and when I delete from the phone, it deletes from the server. However, sometimes there is a slight lag before the computer sees that the phone had deleted a message.

Same here. Also, those coming from RIM are accustomed to true email "push," which is not the case with Android devices (some yet?).

So, there is a bit of lag as to communication/input from the user to the servers.

Upvote 0
Greetings everyone, first time poster, so please forgive me if this has been asked. I tried using the search function, but it brought me a ton of topics for different phones.

I am switching from a Blackberry Curve, to a Droid 3, and I seem to have run into an issue. On my BB, when I would delete an email I had the choice whether I want to just take it off my handheld or if I wanted to completely delete it.

Now with the Droid 3, I don't have that option, but I also am finding that when I delete something off my phone, it still shows up in my email on my computer. Is there a setting I am missing that allows me to delete it not only off my phone, but also off the server?

Open up the email app on your device. Then hit your menu button ( the one that looks like 4 squares ) and then select account settings. Once in settings scroll down to incoming settings. At the bottom of the incoming settings there is a tab that says delete email from server and it should say never. Hit the down arrow to open up the sub menu and choose "when I delete from inbox". Once that is done go ahead and back out of the app. Now anytime you pull that email to your device it will delete it from the server just as your home email would.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I don't have an option that states, "incoming mail settings." Most of what you wrote does not show up when I go to my menu button.

You are hitting the menu button once in the email app correct?

The following guide will show you how to set up the built-in email application on the Motorola DROID 3 to access an IMAP or POP3 email server for incoming email, and an SMTP server for outbound email. The setup for both IMAP and POP3 is the same.

1. Tap the Home icon
  2. Tap the Grid icon so you can view all installed applications
  3. Tap the Email icon
  4. Enter your Email Address and Password for the account you are setting up and tap Next
  5. Select the type of account: POP3, IMAP, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync; select either POP3 or IMAP, as appropriate (figure 4)
  6. Enter the Incoming server settings: Username, Password, POP3 server (ex: pop.yourdomiain.com), Port, Security type, and Delete email from server, then tap Done, and then Next
  7. Enter the Outgoing server settings: SMTP server (ex: smtp.yourdomain.com), Port, Security type, Require sign-in (check box), Username, and Password, then tap Done, and then Next
  8. You can now select Account options: Email checking frequency (15 minutes by default), Send email from this account by default (check box), and Notify me when email arrives (checkbox) -- make your selections and tap Next
  9. Your email account is now set up on your Motorola DROID 3 and must be named -- also be sure to enter your name to be displayed on outgoing messages
Once completed, the Motorola DROID 3 will connect to the account and begin retrieving your email. While viewing the message list, you are also able to change the settings that are assigned to this account by tapping the Menu icon -- which is directly to the left of the Home icon -- and then tapping Account settings. The following options are available:

• Account name
  • Your name
  • Email check frequency
  • Default account (make the current account the default email account on your Motorola DROID 3)
  • Email notifications
  • Select Ringtone
  • Vibrate
  • Incoming settings (to modify IMAP or POP3 server settings)
  • Outgoing settings (to modify SMTP server settings)
The menu icon also gives you more options, which include refresh, compose, folders, accounts and account settings.

Reactions: MamaCashew
Upvote 0
That sounds like good advice (certainly for Outlook).

I migrated to LiveMail, and got a bit aggravated to receive stuff "everywhere" - meaning desktop, laptop, smartfone: TMI!

It isn't quite that easy to stop LiveMail downloading messages you have aready deleted (it involves mouse clicks you didn't think you'd have to do - like first you delete, then you delete again from the deleted folder - tick the 'yes I'm sure' box: aaargh.

But thinking about this stuff, and when it's occasionally useful, how undifficult is it to delete (twice!) this stuff from an appliance which you want to clean up?

And when you're in a place running Docomo, LiveMail is pretty brill (on wifi)

Upvote 0
Hey Everyone - I am having the opposite issue as what is described here in this thread by others. If I delete an email from my phone, it does take it off the server (which is what I want it to do). However, after I download my emails to my computer at home, I would like them to go away on my Droid, but they continue to remain so I have to delete them manually. I cannot find any settings to accomplish my goal.

Any thoughts???

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones