1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support can Dx output streaming video via HDMI?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Davoo, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Davoo

Davoo Active Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Can the Dx output anything other than pics/videos captured with the phone? My Dx is in the mail and was wondering if I should buy a cable because I want to use it to stream youtube or other video content from the phone to tv. If it can not be done now, is that a hardware issue or a software issue that could be changed later? Also so I can control the phone while it is connected to the tv I wanted to get a 15' cable. This is the only one I see but it does not say if it is type D or not. Does that matter? Amazon.com: Amzer Micro HDMI High Speed Male to HDMI Male Cable for HTC EVO 4G (15 Feet): Cell Phones & Service

Advertisement

2. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    It will not output youtube over HDMI. I have seen positive reports that it will output videos that you copy onto the X so it isn't completely crippled like some believed. I am planning to do some testing when my cable arrives and was going to start a post in the near future with some of the results I've gotten from several encoding tests that I have run.

3. colornshape

colornshape Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I'm sure Verizon doesn't want people circumventing their you-can-tether-but-you'll-do-it-our-way-and-pay-extra-and-be-grateful stance. A seemingly competent associate told me he thinks Verizon will go to a truly unlimited plan to accommodate people who would like to use their phone as their home internet source. Sixty or seventy dollars for that plan is both a likely and reasonable price.

If the hardware allows it, perhaps those who buy the above theoretical plan could be provided the software necessary.

Or maybe a market app will cover this. Any developers know if that can be done?