1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support can empty subdirectories/subfolders be deleted?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by agehya, Apr 25, 2011.

1. agehya

agehya Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    NJ
    Here's what I hope is an easy question, but I'm a noob so I'm perplexed. I have a bunch of empty subdirectories on my SD card that I want to delete (e.g., attachments, backupdria, bluetooth, lost.dir, myalbum, speedsoftware). I also have two that are associated with apps I don't use: "z7logs" (which contains only some old log files and goes with an app I I believe I froze last month) and "svox" (which appeared after I accidentally installed voice to Google maps and can't figure out how to uninstall that feature!). The reason I want to delete the subfolders is that it's a nuisance finding files that get put into the other subfolders that I do use since each app drops files into different folders and I sometimes end up opening them all in search of a newly saved file.

So, here's my question: Which of the above subdirectories are safe or unsafe to delete? I know that some are recreated when they are needed but that deleting others might pose a problem. I have an LG Optimus M on Froyo 2.2 if that matters.

Thanks in advance to all those who know more than I,

LittleOne

Advertisement

2. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Ordained Minister
    Seattle
    Make sure empty directories are actually empty. Android is Linux and sometimes uses what are called dot files, or hidden files, which have a "." at the beginning of the file name - such as .youversion or .android_secure. These files/folders won't be seen in some file managers unless you go into the file manager settings and enable "view hidden files and folders". If you're viewing a directory that is full of dot files, and you haven't made hidden files viewable, then that directory will appear empty when in fact it is full of files that some app needs.

Truly empty directories are safe to delete, but they may be re-created when the relevant app runs again (Titanium is one such app). Or you can simply leave them in place, they aren't taking up any noticeable space. I delete empty directories now and then just to get rid of some that were for apps that I uninstalled.. the needed directories are re-created when the proper app runs again.

agehya likes this.
  3. agehya

agehya Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    NJ
    I checked my directories using Root Explorer and you were right in that some dot files were indeed there. So, I deleted each of the ones that were truly empty. I did that four days ago and so far, everything's working fine. Thanks so much, Ardchoille!

Tags: