• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can Google use a phone without FCC approval?

wonderbread

Android Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2009
So it occurs to me that google just legit handed out possibly hundreds of GSM phones to their employees which means the phone must have passed through the FCC in order for the phone to legally transmit on US airwaves. Correct?

If so, then where the heck is the FCC filing for this phone? Is Google using an unlicensed (illegal) transmitter?

So it occurs to me that google just legit handed out possibly hundreds of GSM phones to their employees which means the phone must have passed through the FCC in order for the phone to legally transmit on US airwaves. Correct?

If so, then where the heck is the FCC filing for this phone? Is Google using an unlicensed (illegal) transmitter?

As long as the only communication not on wifi is within the same state, I think its legal as the FCC manages interstate communications. I think in reality its not even hundreds of phones. Most likely they're all being used at their HQ.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones