1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can HTC see that I'm rooted on their end?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 3vodroid, Aug 27, 2012.

1. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert

I've contacted htc about an issue in having with my device and they wanted serial numbers etc. Question is- can they detect that I am rooted and unlocked by giving them that info? Thanks in advance.

Btw. I am rooted, htc dev unlocked, s-on running Viper w/ TWRP recovery.

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Using Regaws unlocker used minimal information from your own phone. With that being said, theres no telling whether they know or not. Part of why unlocking isnt a big deal is because most people dont go through HTC for warranty.

My question is, why are you contacting htc and not sprint about your issue?

What is the issue?

Do you have insurance?

3vodroid likes this.
  3. Yeah for real. More info.

4. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert

Sorry guys I didn't mean to leave you hanging... My screen ever so lightly flickers on Grey colors see thread - - - >
    http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=4872972

It's not THAT big of a deal but I just wanted to see if htc had any useful info about it. I do have insurance btw

5. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Not sure what HTC uses to get information from the phone now. Carrier IQ was that source however since the exposure of that who knows what they have come up with since then. I do suspect that was one of the main reasons behind the HTC DEV tool.

Issues with the phone should be dealt with by sprint. Technically they are HTC's customer not us the end user. Most hardware issues sprint takes care of with out the insurance.

3vodroid likes this.
  6. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert

OK ill go to sprint... The corp store around me is a bunch of.... Oh never mind. Lol But seriously I can already see it, ill bring it in and they will just want to argue/tell me they can't duplicate my issue. And I really DONT want a refurb. So ill just hope cm10 fixes it :rolleyes:

7. Let us know.

8. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert

So if something software wise goes wrong with my phone, I would have no choice but to pay the ins deductible? Bc when they replace it for free their using your manufacturers warranty right?

I'm only stating this hypothetically.. Just wanna understand a little better.

9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

If its a software problem, flashing a ROM would typically solve it. Hardware problems persist through ROM flashes.

They will generally replace hardware malfunctions for free using the manufacturers warranty without even caring if its rooted for the above reason.

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert

Even if it is re locked?

I was just wondering bc I had to send my girlfriends stratosphere back to Verizon a couple days ago and on the box it stated that if there was any water damage, physical damage etc that the owner would have to pay the full price of the phone. I guess this is in case you waterlogged your phone but for if some reason the tech at the store didn't notice it and processed it as a free warranty replacement they can still charge you. I didn't know if this pertained to rooting as well. Say if the sprint tech didn't notice it said "relocked" but htc did when they received it.

11. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Maybe Mr. Ed can chime in here, but sprint official policy is that rooting the device doesnt not automatically prevent you from getting the device serviced. They will notify you of the dangers of rooting but it is ultimately the customers decision.

I understand your question is about the possibility of HTC charging you for the device once you get the new one. In my experiences that does not happen.

ocnbrze and 3vodroid like this.
  12. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert

Thank you for clearing that up :)

13. Good to know, I've been wandering about this the past 3 weeks while debating whether or not to root mine.

14. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

yeah i have a sprint tech who i have gotten to know over the years and he has known that i root my phones. he has no issues with me being rooted and bringing in the phone when i have had issues in the past. as long as the issue is not a root related issue, he is fine with it. plus there are ways to alter what the bootloader says (for those who have s-off) to hide the fact that your phone is indeed rooted.

CapThrowback likes this.
  15. InTheRough

InTheRough Member

It's my understanding that the modified bootloader to show stock info is good for the tech who would just boot it up and check the screen real quick. Is there not a way to check for actual lock status and S-on status with adb or other security software like MobileIron?

16. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Sure there are ways of 100% knowing. all they'd have to do is try to install something not signed by HTC via the bootloader.

Will they ever do this though? No

At most they'll check the bootloader... if they even do that

17. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert

And if they were to check the bootloader relocked would be good enough. A freind of a freind works at sprint and i asked him to ask him. lol. Relocked is good. And like RX said thats even if they check. I was told they often dont.

18. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Soff users won't display relocked. We can even make our bootloader say s-on and locked even though we are completly s-off still

If I wanted to hide it, sprint would have no clue. However, I usually just tell them the phone is rooted so they don't go messing with things they have no business messing with

3vodroid likes this.
  19. InTheRough

InTheRough Member

Waiting for Regawmod to update the bootloader customizer that would allow stock 1.15 or 1.19 so this would be less of a problem. :)

3vodroid likes this.
  20. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

You have to be S-OFF to use it, so that wont happen for 1.15 or 1.19 till S-OFF is achieved

InTheRough likes this.
  21. InTheRough

InTheRough Member

Yup. I've got the lazypanda 1.12.2222 hboot.

22. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Then why do you want 1.15 or 1.19?

23. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert

Don't do it! I'm on 1.15 and it sucks. I'll trade with you!

24. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Android Enthusiast

Hboot 1.15 is such a pain. Don't upgrade!

25. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Well with S-OFF it wont be a pain. You could still flash normally. The thing is though theres no benefit gained by upgrading the bootloader

HTC EVO 4G LTE Forum

The HTC EVO 4G LTE release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2000mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews