• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can I activate a phone without activating cell service?

fixed that for you :)

i would probably go with the INC as well...but only because it will get further updates, where the Droid is probably at the latest update it will ever see officially.

I believe she has the R2-D2 Droid, which is newer than the Dinc and has all of the hardware prerequisites for the upcoming Gingerbread update. The R2-D2 Droid should be kept up to date for at least a year.

Upvote 0
fixed that for you :)

i would probably go with the INC as well...but only because it will get further updates, where the Droid is probably at the latest update it will ever see officially.

hahaah.. ok, 'study" - I do agree, the added heft does make it feel more sturdy in my hand. however, I think(maybe I'm wrong) that the slide out keyboard is attributing to that heft. I don't like the keyboard at all - I'm so used to the touch keypad, but, the fact that swype is installed ♥♥ ...

I believe she has the R2-D2 Droid, which is newer than the Dinc and has all of the hardware prerequisites for the upcoming Gingerbread update. The R2-D2 Droid should be kept up to date for at least a year.
ok, I need to get myself back involved - gingerbread?

Upvote 0
Gingerbread is the code name for version 3.0 of android that is due to come out around the end of the year.

Exactly. Its the next update after Froyo. (They are named in alphabetical order: donut, eclair, froyo, gingerbread, honeycomb, etc.) The only catch with Gingerbread is that there are minimum hardware requirements to run it. You need at least 1.0GHz processor and 512MB of ram. We can OC to 1GHz but the ram part may be more difficult. We cannot increase it, but we may be able to virtually add more ram similar to how compcache works. I don't know how this would be done though, but I'm sure some very smart Droid devs can figure it out :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones