1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can I backup EVERYTHING (including OS)?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by magohn, Aug 23, 2011.

1. magohn

magohn Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Hi all,
    Im a windows phone transplant and on the winmo phone there were numerous apps for creating a full backup image of the OS and Apps and saving it to the SD card. I enjoyed that security, as if I ever hosed the phone, I could always step back to where I was before I messed things up. Sort of like System Restore in windows.
    Are there any android apps that can do this task?
    Thanks much...

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    magohn,

I've moved your thread to the all-things-root sub-forum.

I did this because I think you'll get more views and replies over there, although I do believe that there are characteristics of your phone that would allow you to do what you want without being rooted.

That being said, the folks in the all-things-root sub-forum will likely discuss the above as well as the new ClockworkMod custom recovery that is being developed for the Triumph that has a backup / restore utility commonly known as a Nandroid backup / restore (i.e., you are backing-up the NAND memory on the phone). A Nandroid backup does indeed backup most (but not all) of the various partitions of your phone's internal memory (these are saved to the SD card). There are some partitions (filesystems) that are not typically backed-up with a Nandroid backup since, but I'll leave it to the Triumph root guys to let you know which ones are and are not backed-up.

Anyway, the good folks in here will help you out.

Cheers!

3. rvarn1

rvarn1 Well-Known Member
    None

Nadroid backup... Clockworkmod recovery 4.x i think

4. tickerguy

tickerguy Android Enthusiast
    None

Yes, clockwork will do this and save it to the SD card.

Be aware that it is possible - but not easy - to screw things up badly enough that clockwork can't fix it. Most-notably if you trash the partition layout you're in BIG trouble - but short of that, it will do what you want.

It's pretty tough to trash the partition layout but not impossible.