1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can I Backup Locally

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Backup Nexus S, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Backup Nexus S

None
    My Nexus S may have some malware in it, the battery life has suddenly dropped right off. Before doing a factory reset I want to save particularly my phone book, but I could add a few photos etc to that. Using People>Import/Export>Export to Storage can send my phone nos to my PC via Bluetooth, but the rest of the info in my phone book is not exported.

From the user manual i see the default backup method is to a Google storage site. Is there a simple way instead of transferring the chosen info (eg phone book, photos, gallery) to my PC. If I can get this backup into my Documents folder, it will then be part of my routine backups. I could connect by Bluetooth ot WiFi, but easier would be by USB-miniUSB cable. Of course, once I have done a factory reset, I would want to copy things from the backup to the phone.

Advertisement

2. Cedric48

Cedric48 Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2014
    Immediately after posting this I found <http://androidforums.com/threads/a-backup-routine-for-us-all.697582/>.

But then I discovered that when I plug the USB cable in, while Windows (have tried both W7 & W8 machines) gives the usual USB connection sound, the usual message about USB connection does not appear on the phone.

W7 shows a phone in Windows Explorer, but that wont open to show the phones files and directories. Am I correct that the phone's USB cable has a few more circuits than just a standard USB/miniUSB cable? Is this indicative that some wire or pin isn't connecting properly? And how do I get around this, to backup the phone book, if I cant drag and drop into W7?