• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I copy my music files to my SD card? Then what happens?

Apologies in advance for being new and dumb.

Scenario:
Phone: HTC Incredible still ten days from my hands.
Microittybitty SD card: came in today's mail.
Computer OS: Vista
Music: On iTunes.
Downloaded: doubleTwist
My general media skills: Sucky.

Ok, here goes. So I have this fear that I won't be able to get all my lovely music from my computer to my Incredible. This is not an irrational fear, as I am notoriously bad with any kind of file management. And device management. And getting devices to talk nicely to each other.

(You may heckle me all you want. Yes, I am in over my head here. This will be an adventure.)

If I could figure out how to copy my music files to my SD card, could I then just put the card in the phone and have the stock music player recognize them and all that? Or would I end up down some dead-end street by myself in the middle of the night, drunk and dazed?

I want the music to go to the SD card anyway, whether I wait for the phone to get here or not. I'm just trying to skip a step. Will it work?

Thank you, oh brilliant ones!

I would expect that you won't be able to play your mp3's thanks to them being from itunes. Apple thoughtfully put copy protection in each file, making it so that only apple products and itunes on your computer can play them. Not sure if there's a way of cleaning them so they'll work with anything like they SHOULD do, but I've never had to look into it as I won't touch anything apple with a shitty stick.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I would expect that you won't be able to play your mp3's thanks to them being from itunes. Apple thoughtfully put copy protection in each file, making it so that only apple products and itunes on your computer can play them. Not sure if there's a way of cleaning them so they'll work with anything like they SHOULD do, but I've never had to look into it as I won't touch anything apple with a shitty stick.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Not true. If they are standard MP3's, as in, not bought from iTunes, they will work. They are only protected if they are .m4p files.

Upvote 0
If you ripped the cd's using itunes, I would still assume they've bastardised the tracks with their copy protection, a way of them making sure people buy apple devices to play them with. Not sure if doubletwist would sort it, as if there is any apple copy protection in them it might even stop doubletwist from reading them in the first place!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones