1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can I create a APN that only allows mms to work when mobile data (g3) is activated?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by northman123456, Jun 28, 2011.

1. northman123456

None

Jun 28, 2011
    I know that alot of android programs promise this, ex: apn on/off, apn droid, apn manager..none of these seem to work for me. I have the Lg optimus one with google (p500h) with the most recent firmware update.

I have an unlimited text message package, but in order to send or receive a picture or video, I have to turn on my G3 (which I keep off all the time). I have no data plan and have no use for one, so the instant I turn my G3 on, one of my android programs automatically goes on the net in search of an update and I get hit with a "pay per use" charge..at least thats what I think is happening.

I've found the APN list on my phone, and apparently i'm able to create new ones if I want. I've looked through the values of the 2 default ones that are already there...I don't understand enough of what is there...I see values for mms and am tempted to create an apn with those values inputed and all other fields blank, but I don't expect that will work. I doubt i'll find a program that helps me as 3 have already failed. I'm thinking of phoning the tech department of my service provider, but i'm sure they'll be against helping me fiddle in this way.

the description of the mobile data charges is "pda", which is why I assume that its my programs trying to update automatically thats doing this. I've been looking for a pda blocker, or a program that restricts what parts of the phone can have internet access without asking, but i haven't stumbled accross one.

I'm still thinking that a manual switch to a custom apn to accomplish this is probably my best bet, I just don't know how to do it. advice please? thanks.

Advertisement

2. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    APN Droid has a setting for disabling data but continuing to allow MMS. Have you tried that?

The answer to your question about creating an APN is no. APN is the name of the access point. Whatever you put in there must match what your service provider uses as an access point. If you create something not recognized by your provider, it simply won't work.

The other option would be to contact your provider and ask them which settings should be used to allow MMS and not data. It's possible they have an APN used for MMS only, but you'd need to get the settings from them.