1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can i delete .apk files?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by janathan, Jul 28, 2011.

1. janathan

janathan Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Hello, i want to free up space in main memory. thru a root explorer i was able to access the app folder.

My questions is: is .apk file required to run an app or just to install one (like setup files)? Also same question for .odex files.

i want to delete the files of unwanted softwares like SCVNGR, TWITROID, LAYAR etc which cannot be removed thru the default uninstaller.

Another question: is deleting an app same as uninstalling? if i delete an app from app folder will the phone give some error like "file not found" every time i turn on the phone if that app was on startup list (which does not happen if its properly removed)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Apk files are needed to run the apps. I would suggest if you want to remove bloatware first download titanium backup and make a backup of the app you wish to remove then use titanium backup to uninstall the app. If you start getting errors you can restore the backup and reboot to resolve the issue. You will likely have to reboot after you get done uninstalling system apps to get them to go away from the app drawer.

3. janathan

None

Jul 24, 2011
    Thank you very much for replying.

So using the Titanium back up and using does not require rooting......right?

4. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    No, it needs to be rooted

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Yeah you need root to delete any system apps

6. janathan

None

Jul 24, 2011
    Thank you very much for your replies. Do not want to root my Samsung device as yet. since just after 2 weeks half of the screen stopped repsonding to touch and i had to exchange it and i believe rooting will void the warranty. Will root once i am sure this device is stable. Thanks again :)

Note: Samsung suck, when they made simple phones their buttons will not work, now its their touch screens :-/

7. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    The overwhelming majority of Samsung Galaxy SII touch screens work just fine.

I suppose that out of 5 million phones sold in just 85 days, there's bound to be some that are less than perfect.

Unfortunately, you seem to have had one of those. I trust you will receive a swift replacement. :D