1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can I delete tar.gz files from my phone?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by nzdreamer55, Oct 15, 2014.

1. nzdreamer55

nzdreamer55 Member

Hi everyone,

I have a samsung galaxy nexus running a custom ROM (slimbean Toro). Some may not know that there is no physical sim card and that the phone has 32GB of memory. I need to make space and I see that I have a lot of files that are compressed on the phone (such as com.android.chrome-20140825-052347.tar.gz). I know that these files are the seeds to programs once expanded and installed, however once the phone is up and running, I am not sure why I would want to keep these on the phone. I am running titanium backup and I suspect that these files might be generated by this application.

Any help would be appreciated in terms of removing them to make space for other stuff.

Thanks
    -S

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

tar.gz isn't the app install package (they'd label that .apk) but it is the format that Titanium stores backups in. So most likely you're right and that is what they are. Ti keeps them in a particular folder, typically called TitaniumBackup, so it should be easy to tell.

If they are Titanium's backups then the only cost of deleting them is that you no longer have a backup.

John Bean and mikedt like this.